• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC compressor help needed

What Rd

NAXJA Forum User
I have an AC compressor that has lived longer than I ever expected and is now making a death squeal on every engagement and has a serious amount of drag both when engaged and when not. It's on my 93 4.0 and has made it 237,000 miles.
My question is what needs to be done to fix these symptoms? I don't know whether the clutch can be the whole problem and be replaced separately or whether I need a complete compressor. My guess is that because it has such drag whether engaged or not, the problem extends to the internals of the compressor and not just the clutch. Anyone have experience with this and know a way to determine the extent of the problem?
What can I expect it to cost to replace the entire compressor and have the system recharged?
Thanx in advance.

The pulley on the compressor should have virtually no drag on it when the clutch is disengaged. You can check this by taking the belt off and spinning the pulley by hand. If there IS significant drag, it may be the bearing in the hub of the pulley. This can be replaced without upsetting the rest of the compressor.

If that is not the cause of your drag, does the compressor put out good high and low side pressures at a given temperature? This can be checked with an AC refrigerant manifold. If yes, then a new clutch may restore the overall situation.

If the manifold shows bad pressures, then it's new compressor time. A reman compressor will run about $300 or so. That may or may not include the clutch, which might add another $50.

The R&R of the compressor is easy, and you can do it yourself. The discharge and recharge of the system, of course should be done by a person with the proper equipment to do so.

That's what I needed. Thanx AZ Jeff!

cbremer said:
FWIW, i've recently bought 2 compressors on ebay (one reman, and new) for less than $150 each time- both included clutches. just an idea....

If it turns out I need a new compressor, I'll like that idea a lot!

Back