• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Worn out harmonic balancer.....

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
My project '89 started making funny noises the other day and I've tracked it down to the rubber lining in the harmonic balancer. It's working its way out and the rubber was hitting the fan. I've trimmed off the protruding rubber.

Question:
Do I need to replace the harmonic balancer because of this? Will I have to pull the radiator in order to get a puller in there?

Thanks!

YELLAHEEP said:
My project '89 started making funny noises the other day and I've tracked it down to the rubber lining in the harmonic balancer. It's working its way out and the rubber was hitting the fan. I've trimmed off the protruding rubber.

Question:
Do I need to replace the harmonic balancer because of this? Will I have to pull the radiator in order to get a puller in there?

Thanks!
Yes....and Maybe...I used a puller that BARLY fit when I did mine. Same thing...rubber comming out.

Troy, did mine on my 89 a couple of years back. I did not pull the radiator to replace mine, but it won't get any better so get it out of there..........

Replace it!! mine seperated from from the innerpart of pully@70mph while on the freeway. Severed both trannylines in the process,it wasn't pretty. I did the exact same thing-cut out the piece of rubber that was sticking out,it just makes it worse,replace it! i used a puller from schucks(kinda like steering wheel puller) didn't have to pull radiator, pulled inspetion cover from flyweel used a bar to keep motor from turning while breaking bolt loose on crankshaft.I changed mine in the parking lot of a 76 gas station with min tools.

Last edited:
Mine went out the opposite way. It actually worked it's way back to where it was grinding into the timing chain cover. My symptom is that I was getting oily belts and I couldn't figure out why. I had to replace the balancer and the timing chain cover.

TEXJ said:
Mine went out the opposite way. It actually worked it's way back to where it was grinding into the timing chain cover. My symptom is that I was getting oily belts and I couldn't figure out why. I had to replace the balancer and the timing chain cover.
i seen one like that this weekend.

TEXJ said:
Mine went out the opposite way. It actually worked it's way back to where it was grinding into the timing chain cover. My symptom is that I was getting oily belts and I couldn't figure out why. I had to replace the balancer and the timing chain cover.[/QUOTE

x2

YELLAHEEP said:

Question:

Thanks!

I didn't need to pull the radiator but if you have a splash guard that will probably need to come off. I used a fairly long wrench w/pipe on the crank bolt and let it rest on the floor. Pulled the coil wire and bumped the starter to break it loose. If you look at the rotation you should be able to figure out how to do that. Much easier than trying to hold the engine.

As far as a puller, I made a puller from angle iron much like a steering wheel puller. I remember threaded holes on the pulley/HB that will accept bolts that can jack it off the crank with the drilled angle iron placed across the backed-out crank bolt. A little propane torch action will help expand the pulley hub a bit and come off easier. Forget about a regular gear pulley, most wouldn't fit in there with the radiator in place.

Yeah, they get weird with advanced mileage/years. Nothing to ignore.

My went bad as well the rubber came out the front and it started to eat my timing cover away as well. For getting mine out I was able to get a puller in there. Its definatley in a place where most people dont like to work! While I was at it I replaced my front main seal too.

Heres a pic of my damage could have been worse if not replaced

1t2137

TORX

Mine did the same thing, Rubber came out, make some wacky noises. Just replace it, its not hard. I bought a puller from AZ, and a 24" chain pipe wrench from Harbor Freight. Radiator didn't need to come out. Several beverages, and a couple boxes of Trucker Brand swear words helped out. Not much room to work in there.

Thanks fellas!

Do any of you that replaced yours remember what it cost roughly for a new one?

This jeep doesn't wanna leave...... something new every time I think it's ready to sell! :laugh3:

I did mine about a week or two ago and all the Autoparts stores I called were around $50 I ended up finding one for around $38 probably not the highest quality but we'll see.

You should be able to find one reatively cheap dont get a used one I didnt check with the dealer though

TORX

If I remember correctly, about 50 bucks. My NAPA matches any web price, it was cheaper at their site, than in the store and they matched it.

Back