• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Cherokee wiring harness

idahjo

NAXJA Forum User
Is it known if the 98 XJ Cherokees all came from the factory with the same basic wiring harness? I am thinking they must have as I just installed OEM cruise control and it was "plug and Play".
I was wondering if the vehicles without OEM fog lights and tow packages have the same 'root' wiring? If so, anyone have any ideas where the plug would be that allows for this(http://www.rockauto.com/ref/SMP/SMPDetail2.html?TC502.jpg) pig-tail adapter for trailer?
thanks [PS you have a GREAT site here]

All my wiring on my 2000 is located in the panel behind the spare tire area.
HTH

I'm between classes at school so I can't point you to the thread(s), but do a search under "trailer wiring" or something close to that. It's a common question.

But the short version is: most XJ's have very similar wiring, but NOT all the same. I think you should have some trailer brake light wiring, regardless of what model you have, & I believe it's behind the paneling on the passenger side where the cavity is, but I could be wrong. The fog light thing--unless it came w/fogs from the factory, there is some wiring missing--what you have is really just wiring for the in-cabin switch, most likely, but there is a slight possibility that you have more than just that. Like I said, search & you should find 2 or 3 recent posts on this.

idahjo said:
Is it known if the 98 XJ Cherokees all came from the factory with the same basic wiring harness? I am thinking they must have as I just installed OEM cruise control and it was "plug and Play".
I was wondering if the vehicles without OEM fog lights and tow packages have the same 'root' wiring? If so, anyone have any ideas where the plug would be that allows for this(http://www.rockauto.com/ref/SMP/SMPDetail2.html?TC502.jpg) pig-tail adapter for trailer?
thanks [PS you have a GREAT site here]

IN the cargo area, remove the drivers side panel and there you will be able to plug that adapter in: it doesn't require a special outlet as what you're doing is separating an existing harness at a connecting point and putting the trailer wiring harness which is esentially a T.

Same with the fog lights.
You'll need the foglight harness but it will plug right in.

idahjo said:
Is it known if the 98 XJ Cherokees all came from the factory with the same basic wiring harness?

97+ Cherokees came with two basic cabin wiring harnesses. One with power windows & locks and one without. If you have manual windows and locks and want to and OEM power units, you'll have to swap the main cabin harness.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, as usual you are right on the point.

I got the 98 a few weeks ago and am straightening out some things I don't like, or would prefer in the way of equipment on it.
There is a switch in the position whare the fog light switch belongs (apparently dead as the indicator light on it does not illuminate) but it does not have the same symbol on it as the one in the manual. Behind the bumper on the right side is a coiled pigtail with a two-prong factory connector on it... guessing a fog-light feed??

And, the taillights were jury-rigged for a trailer connection by connection-taps. I was inquiring as to the right way to correct it and I believe you told me.

BTW this was a Canadian vehicle originally; no tow package, fog lights, or misc. power equipment installed.

Again, thanks for the knowledgeable help. I shall be tapping your wisdom regularly!!

idahjo said:
There is a switch in the position whare the fog light switch belongs (apparently dead as the indicator light on it does not illuminate) but it does not have the same symbol on it as the one in the manual.

It should be window defroster, rear wiper and then the fog light switch.
What does the symbol on your 3rd switch looks like? Do you have a pic?

JEEPZZ said:
It should be window defroster, rear wiper and then the fog light switch.
What does the symbol on your 3rd switch looks like? Do you have a pic?

JeepZZ: could get one, but it is simple to explain. Looks EXACTLY like the other two in structure, except it is plain black with a window on the bottom half that appears to be maybe a 3/8" square that looks to be checker embossed on the back (for light diffusion). As stated, it does not light-up so assuming it is "dead".

What you described doesn't ring a bell. Get a pic of it and I'm sure someone on here has seen it before. As for the light being burned out, that doesn't mean thte switch doesn't work. The bulb that illumunates the switch is independent from the switch's function so it's more than likely the switch still works.

Just discovered the 'mysterious switch' in the fog light position was an after-market switch for an after-market theft alarm (which was removed prior to my buying the XJ) ...duuh!!

Back