• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want to convert to the x297 series U Joints

Culinary_Hooligan

NAXJA Forum User
What all do I need to purchase and anyone have part numbers for everything to convert to the 297x series U-joints and axle shafts.

any help would be much appreciated.

Culinary_Hooligan said:
What all do I need to purchase and anyone have part numbers for everything to convert to the 297x series U-joints and axle shafts.

any help would be much appreciated.

new (or used) axle shafts that have 297 ujoints on them. It's simple as long as you don't have vacuum disconnect (with that you need to replace some seals or something like that). In any case, what you do is get new axle shafts (or go to a boneyard and look for shafts), pull old ones out, put new ones in.

I've been told that the 297 series shafts need a "Tone Ring" to be added, and my abs needs to be deactivated.... thats why I was wondering if there was anything else that will be need... is there any way to identify 297 series axles?

Culinary_Hooligan said:
I've been told that the 297 series shafts need a "Tone Ring" to be added, and my abs needs to be deactivated.... thats why I was wondering if there was anything else that will be need... is there any way to identify 297 series axles?

if you have ABS you should already have the 297X u-joints... (unless i am misinformed) why exactly do you want to upgrade? aside from assuming/knowing you have weaker 260X u joints??

Culinary_Hooligan said:
Tone ring is only needed if you have ABS. If your axle shafts have the tone ring on them that means that they already have 297 ujoints as all ABS vehicles (89 and up IIRC) came with them.

How to recognize them? measure your ujoint and if the other one is beefier then it's 297. Also if the axle shaft had the tonering from ABS that's another hint.

sidriptide said:
if you have ABS you should already have the 297X u-joints... (unless i am misinformed) why exactly do you want to upgrade? aside from assuming/knowing you have weaker 260X u joints??

I want to be able to Run OX U-joints, when In add my lift in a few weeks.
I'll be running 33's and just didnt think the 260x's would hold up...

I was told that the Abs units did not have the 297x's

I guess the best thing to do would be to contact a dealership....

Culinary_Hooligan said:
I want to be able to Run OX U-joints, when In add my lift in a few weeks.
I'll be running 33's and just didnt think the 260x's would hold up...

I was told that the Abs units did not have the 297x's

I guess the best thing to do would be to contact a dealership....

Well if you're going to run beefier ujoints, consider getting alloy shafts. I have a set of OX sitting on the shelf, but I don't want to waste them on stock shafts.

Also whoever told you that ABS did not come with 297 doesn't know what they're talking about.

Kejtar said:
Well if you're going to run beefier ujoints, consider getting alloy shafts. I have a set of OX sitting on the shelf, but I don't want to waste them on stock shafts.

Also whoever told you that ABS did not come with 297 doesn't know what they're talking about.

OK, Thanks, I really appreciate the help....
yeah i'm going to be upgrading the shafts when the Ox units go in....
along with a detroit locker.

ANY year XJ with ABS has shafts that will accept 297x u-joints. After 95 or 06, EVERY XJ/Wrangler has shafts that will accept 297x u-joints.

I think your wasting your money running OX joints on stock shafts. If it were me I would save $50 a joint and run the longfeild 760's. Even that might be a waste on stock shafts.

bbbuuuuuuutttttttt... thats just my opinion. :wierd:

If you do end up with the OX/Stock shaft combo, be sure to let us know how much abuse they take.

-jm

Culinary_Hooligan said:
yeah i'm going to be upgrading the shafts when the Ox units go in....
along with a detroit locker.

What setup exactly are you running to need that kind of $$$ in upgrade? I'm running stock TJ Yukon replacement axles from Randy's R&P with 297 joints, I've tack welded the caps in place and been running the SAME SHAFTS for two years, running 4.56 gears and 35" MT/R's and a fairly heavy throttle foot while wheeling. I have expected breakage before now but haven't. I suppose it will happen the first time I forget to grab my spare shafts :)

John

Kejtar said:
Tone ring is only needed if you have ABS. If your axle shafts have the tone ring on them that means that they already have 297 ujoints as all ABS vehicles (89 and up IIRC) came with them.

How to recognize them? measure your ujoint and if the other one is beefier then it's 297. Also if the axle shaft had the tonering from ABS that's another hint.

The differnce will be the cap diameter. the cross section is identical but the diameter goes from 1 1/8 to 1 3/16 I believe.

If you are using stock shafts, just put the new 760's in it and tack the caps. Don't waste your $$ on hp ujoints in stock shafts. IMO

Not to hijack, but I do have a set of shafts for sale, with tone rings and stock ujoints. Pm me if you are interested.

HTeK said:
ANY year XJ with ABS has shafts that will accept 297x u-joints. After 95 or 06, EVERY XJ/Wrangler has shafts that will accept 297x u-joints. -jm

So reguadless of whether you have 260's now and have a disco axle without abs, a 95 or 96 and newer XJ axles will take the 297's? I'm I getting this right?

Just for a point of reference:
X-260 = outside cap measurement of 1 1/16"
X-297 or X-760 (2001 or newer) = outside cap measurement of 1 3/16"

ok, don't know much about these, but I am assuming that the new 760's will fit into my current shafts (non abs) without anything else, and are stronger...right?
whats that cost again?
Thanks

as long as you already have the 297s then yes

Codeman said:
ok, don't know much about these, but I am assuming that the new 760's will fit into my current shafts (non abs) without anything else, and are stronger...right?
whats that cost again?
Thanks

As ramsey said -- as long as your non abs shafts are 95/96 or later then they will accept 297's... thefore the 760's will fit.

Spicer introduced the 760x u-joint circa 2001 to replace the 297x u-joints. Spicer claims a 20% increase in strength in the 760x over the 297x, if you compare them side by side the body if the 760x is a little beafier (this is all from my fuzzy memory - i think its right, but i've been full of crap before).

The spicer part number is 5-760x and they will run you anywhere tween $20 and $30 per joint.

-jm

Back