• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ slip yoke vs SYE help...

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
Its a 99XJ sport, d30+8.25

getin ready to Install my 4.5" Lift, I currently am running 3" Lift and have a 1"TC drop...(lil vibes and wobbles here and there nothing to serious)....my question is, what ways can I avoid spending 500 on an SYE and DS? I was looking around and saw that I might be able to run a combination of a YJ slip yoke (about 50 bucks) and my current 1" TC drop for the 4.5" Lift and I will have no vibes or wobbles....I will be running TJ flares and 33x12.50's (hopefully no rubs)....what do you think?
can I get by with the 1" longer YJ slip yoke and the 1"tcase drop and avoid the new SYE and DS or am I Just wasting time and money....

The YJ slip yoke does not do anything to help with vibrations. I has a longer yoke for a taller lift and it alows the u-joint to go through a larger angle without binding.

The only thing you can do to eliminate vibrations is to shim the axle and drop the transfer case. If you axle is shimmed properly at the moment and you still have smal vibrations the added lift will only make it worse. You can try and see but I would bet you are going to need the SYE in the end.

Michael

2xtreme said:
The YJ slip yoke does not do anything to help with vibrations. I has a longer yoke for a taller lift and it alows the u-joint to go through a larger angle without binding.

The only thing you can do to eliminate vibrations is to shim the axle and drop the transfer case. If you axle is shimmed properly at the moment and you still have smal vibrations the added lift will only make it worse. You can try and see but I would bet you are going to need the SYE in the end.

Michael

Wrong, although I would not condone the YJ yoke; just do it right and get the sye. The slip yoke on a XJ gets pulled farther out with the more lift you add. This results in less contact with the splines and more vibration. The YJ yoke is longer so at more lift you still have a decent amount of contact at the splines, but still ony a bandaid fix............ :lecture:

just get the AA sye and get a front XJ driveshaft and your set. I run 4 inches of lift and it worked perfect. Final price for the whole SYE was somewhere around 250$.

I run a YJ Slip yoke on a stock driveshaft with no t-case drop and a true 6" of lift and dont have any vibrations.

Id agree do the sye if you have the money but there are other things that come first. And at 4.5" of lift definetly just do the yj slip yoke take the t-case drop off and you should be good to go. I know my combination works fine however you have to remember the difference in our vehicles I have a 1990 XJ with Manual Tranny and a np231 , if yours is a 99 i think u have a 242 t-case ?

91 Jeep Project said:
Wrong, ... The YJ yoke is longer so at more lift you still have a decent amount of contact at the splines

really? and exactly how much longer is a YJ yoke? it's about 1/8", not enough to make a practical difference. he is correct, the advantage to a YJ yoke is the angle it is capable of.

yjandxjslipyokes3jn.jpg

lickdj said:
my stock yj yoke gives me 3/4 of an inch more length than the stock cherokee yoke

I was stating the fact that the splines are being pulled out which is what causes some of your vibration, and that a longer yoke, be it only 3/4", would help a little. Thats why I said it was a bandaid fix, and I never said that the angle wasn't another reason............... :laugh3:

Bmxpunk1369 said:
just get the AA sye and get a front XJ driveshaft and your set. I run 4 inches of lift and it worked perfect. Final price for the whole SYE was somewhere around 250$.

Same here 3.5" in the rear. SYE from www.performanceoffroadcenter.com for $170 shipped and a $10 spare front driveshaft from the junkyard. Perfect fit w/ no vibes.

lickdj said:
my stock yj yoke gives me 3/4 of an inch more length than the stock cherokee yoke

you must be using your wife's tape measure

whoever started calling these things "long slip yokes" ought to have their nuts cut off. As Brett said, they provide more clearance to run more angle. I've measured the difference at 5/16". Regardless of length and clearance, they are no substitute for a SYE; each addresses a different driveline problem.

lickdj said:
I run a YJ Slip yoke on a stock driveshaft with no t-case drop and a true 6" of lift and dont have any vibrations.

Id agree do the sye if you have the money but there are other things that come first. And at 4.5" of lift definetly just do the yj slip yoke take the t-case drop off and you should be good to go. I know my combination works fine however you have to remember the difference in our vehicles I have a 1990 XJ with Manual Tranny and a np231 , if yours is a 99 i think u have a 242 t-case ?

"however you have to remember the difference in our vehicles..." NSS

NSS = new NAXJA acronym
"No Sh!t, Sherlock"

It get old sometimes guys!!!

"Forget it and get the SYE"

I hear that so much but you know what??

NOT EVERYONE can lay out the coin for the SYE and NEW driveshaft. Many of us are lucky we have our lifts!

NOT EVERYONE feels comfortable wrenching out their transfer case, especially on your DD. When you've A: never done it before and B: probably don't have all the tools you should have or a comfortable location to do it! (more $$$)

NOT EVERYONE is a "gear head" (not trying to degrade that in the least) as I WISH I had that kind of knowledge of automotive mechanics.

NOT EVERYONE's XJ is the sole purpose of their existance. I have "other" hobbies as well as a huge mortgage, 2 little kids, a wife that works midnight shift as a nurse, etc... etc... ( I know, so does everyone else)

I like my Jeep. I think it looks cool, I LOVE 4 wheeling. I like the satisfaction of wrenching something I've never done, and it WORKS afterwords.

I DREAD the idea of tearing into my XJ, possibly hosing something up and since it's my DD, having to pay someone anyway to fix my screw-up. Not counting the $$$ for the tow to the shop!!

I enjoy reading this forum, and have learned so much, but don't be so quick in expending other peoples time and money when offering up advice and opinions.

Thanks, and sorry for the rant, but I had to vent! :rattle:

NSS = new NAXJA acronym
"No Sh!t, Sherlock"[/QUOTE]

And the point of your smart ass comment attempting to insult me is ??

Yea for most people they would already think about that , but someone asking a question about one thing might not know to think about the other factors.

I dont see what the point in your comment is as I didnt even make a comment that was stupid so whatever , guys like you that go around poking fun at people are wat drags theses forums down so next time just dont bother im sure it wont kill you.

Rocketman said:

NOT EVERYONE can lay out the coin for the SYE and NEW driveshaft. Many of us are lucky we have our lifts!

NOT EVERYONE feels comfortable wrenching out their transfer case, especially on your DD. When you've A: never done it before and B: probably don't have all the tools you should have or a comfortable location to do it! (more $$$)

NOT EVERYONE is a "gear head" (not trying to degrade that in the least) as I WISH I had that kind of knowledge of automotive mechanics.

NOT EVERYONE's XJ is the sole purpose of their existance. I have "other" hobbies as well as a huge mortgage, 2 little kids, a wife that works midnight shift as a nurse, etc... etc... ( I know, so does everyone else)

I like my Jeep. I think it looks cool, I LOVE 4 wheeling. I like the satisfaction of wrenching something I've never done, and it WORKS afterwords.

I DREAD the idea of tearing into my XJ, possibly hosing something up and since it's my DD, having to pay someone anyway to fix my screw-up. Not counting the $$$ for the tow to the shop!!

I enjoy reading this forum, and have learned so much, but don't be so quick in expending other peoples time and money when offering up advice and opinions.

if other words: do the right thing, unless it takes time or money

MaXJohnson said:
if other words: do the right thing, unless it takes time or money

NO, actually I mean to say, consider whether someone has the time or money before telling them what to do.

"The right thing" is VERY SUBJECTIVE in just about everything.

Just adding... Everyone is right about the YJ/replacement slip yoke.
The shaft is 5/16 longer, it has MUCH better clearance for the u-joint/yoke on the DS from hitting and the yoke itself is longer from the mounts of the u-joint to the end of the shaft. This puts a little more in contact with the splines on the shaft of the T-case.

I installed mine yesterday. (a replacement from Rusty's) It has quieted down my minor vibes I had and given me more peace of mind knowing the shaft wont come out if I drop into a huge hole. Thus my first hand knowledge of this issue. I have an RE6030 3.5" and a Rusty's transfer case drop kit as well.Is this the "optimum or perfect" set-up. NO. It is what I can afford right now!

Last edited:
Rocketman said:

You're right to a certain point. You have to try and plan for everything. How often there is a thread that says: I want to lift 4" but I don't want to do SYE cause I will have no money for it? ( I know I posted something like that myself a while back). Anyways I ended up having to get SYE cause I couldn't cheat my way around it. I wish I listened ahead of time and did things right from the getgo. So on that note, if someone says that the yoke is not really as long as few are trying to pass it off as, and if they're saying that you'll spend more money and time dinking around trying to do things that will not really solve your problem (maybe mask it a bit) listen to them. The no money excuse is somewhat lame as going into modifying the jeep everyone has to understand: it's not going to be CHEAP no matter how you look at it.

Thanks, and sorry for the rant, but I had to vent! :rattle: :D

lickdj said:
NSS = new NAXJA acronym
"No Sh!t, Sherlock"/QUOTE]

And the point of your smart ass comment attempting to insult me is ??

Yea for most people they would already think about that , but someone asking a question about one thing might not know to think about the other factors.

I dont see what the point in your comment is as I didnt even make a comment that was stupid so whatever , guys like you that go around poking fun at people are wat drags theses forums down so next time just dont bother im sure it wont kill you.

my apology

I didn't notice you're from Canada

my point is;

bad advice is worse than no advice at all.

Back