• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.10?

IUPxj94

NAXJA Forum User
so i bought an 89 wagoneer(downsize) and it has the four cylinder wit a five speed. i was wondering if it had to have the 4.10 gears, there is no tag on the diff andi was kinda hoping not to tare into it. any help would be great. can i call jeep with the vin and have them tell me?

dave

You might look behind the door panels for the factory build sheet. I got lucky on my '89 and found the build sheet stuck to the back of the drivers side door panel. Had all the factory installed options listed. Don't know if they are always put there but its worth a shot.

The odds are it has 4.10 in the axles... unless someone swapped around intentionally.

Quick & easy way: chock the front wheels, set the Jeep in neutral and jack the rear end up so both wheels are off the ground. Mark a spot on the rear pinion/axle housing where you can see it while you spin the rear wheel. If you count a bit over 4 driveshaft turns for 1 turn of the wheel... it's factory 4.10:1. Any less than that or any more than that...do the math.

Also if both wheels spin in the same direction when you turn one, you have a working factory limited slip (or some other traction device) inside.

Back