• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reprograming Keyless entry for 97 Cherokee

1st XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Can anybody help me out? I have a new (From E-Bay)keyless remote for my XJ, But do not know how to reprogram it. It does have same # on back as my other one.

If yours is the same as my 2000, it will require a DRB scan tool ($3500+) or a trip to the dealer. Of course I found this out after I purchased a pair of spare clickers.
HTH

Mine has 3 and looks like a peanut. The "peanut" style ones are dealer program.
Hope yours is different.

All 97+ keyless remotes must be done by the dealer.
Rectangle shaped remotes are 97-98. Peanut shaped are 99-01.

All remotes must be programmed at the same time. If you leave one home and make a trip to the dealer to have your new one programmed, you'll find the the one at home no longer works. Bring them all with you.

To expand on what JEEPZZ wrote, you're not actually programming the remotes. What the dealer does is program the vehicle ECU to recognize the remotes. The process wipes the memory and starts over, so any remotes you don't have with you will be cancelled out when the dealer runs the routine.

I just bought a 2001 Jeep Cherokee that came with two original keyless entry remotes with dead batteries. If I put new batteries in the remotes will it need to be reprogrammed and if so how do you accomplish that? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

put new batteries in and find out. from what i read in the posts above yours, the dealer needs to reprogram the remotes.

and don't forget that the old style (my 97) use two batteries. When I bought my XJ it only had one battery in it and it of course, didn't work.... Al

Back