• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Neutral safety switch

yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
I think the neutral safety switch is bad on my wifes jeep. When I turn the key there is no clunk or anything. Even move the shifter around to see if its out of adjustment. Do have good power and good battery. Just installed a used AW4 and everything worked fine for a couple days. Is there a way to test the switch or bypass it. Got the starter wired to the horn switch as a temp way to fire the starter. TIA

Often a bad NSS will mean both no start (no starter action at all- doesn't spin engine over) and no backup lights. Have you checked that? Check that the wiring is connected at the NSS. It has to be really gummed up to not even start when you push the shifter around. Madxj has a write-up on cleaning out the NSS- they are a lot of $$ at the dealer, but serviceable if you are careful. 4xBob

Thank, yes her back up lights are sporadic. Hmmmm....disassemble......I'll check the sight. I think I might have read about that a long time ago. I've been working so much on the drive train of her jeep and mine that I think I'll be sick if I smell more ATF :tears:

Back