• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For those of you running the 9" rear axle

Good spot, I'm going to add that to my list of stuff for my axles. :laugh3:
I want to protect my investment. The 9" only fault is its low pinion which this skid address and at a low price. Thanks alot bro.
Troy

Is getting a custom 9 placed in the rear with leaf mounts, shock mounts, all parts and labor, including the axle for $1100 a good deal? It seems like it would be, but I'm way cheap, so fill me in.

xjj33p3r said:
Is getting a custom 9 placed in the rear with leaf mounts, shock mounts, all parts and labor, including the axle for $1100 a good deal? It seems like it would be, but I'm way cheap, so fill me in.

does that include gears and a locker? Is it low pinion? Stock shafts? alloy shafts? It's hard to say if what you have is a good deal or not as you didn't say too much as to what's included and what's not.
Localy here (in SoCal) if you pull the axle from a boneyard yourself, it will run you about $150 ~ $180. Getting someone to weld up the mounts for you shouldn't be much more. Now regearing it and putting in a locker that's another story: setting up gears would run you here $150 and up (depending who and where) + gears + locker.

or run one of these and you don't need the differential plate. It is a good price at $59!

3High_Pinion_9-med.jpg

Capt. Nemo said:
I was about to bust your chops about taking credit for something that was in the latest issue of 4 Wheel & Off-Road Mag, but it looks like they reviewed a different company with the same product.

Anyway - page 82, April 2005, Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off-Road Magazine.

Actually that's where I found it :D The website listed in the the mag has a link to the site I posted. I know that not everyone reads the rags and it seems like a really good product (plus looking at the pics, it doesn't look that hard to make one :) )

Danno said:
or run one of these and you don't need the differential plate. It is a good price at $59!

3High_Pinion_9-med.jpg

I've been looking at getting a hi pinion set up. The cost is about $500 more than a new third member. Do you all think that it's worth the extra cash?

Daryl

Danno said:

3High_Pinion_9-med.jpg

Looks good, but I want the 5.43 gears and 9" ring gear. Good option though, I thought about it. I think it is more relevant in a short wheelbase CJ, YJ, TJ than a XJ.

JEONLYEP said:
I've been looking at getting a hi pinion set up. The cost is about $500 more than a new third member. Do you all think that it's worth the extra cash?

Daryl

No, I rather spend that $ on a Strange Nodular case for $200-300 and 35 spline Yukon shafts for $350 for the pair, that's what I did. I'll get that slider though. I also wanted the lower gearing, which with the high pinion, 4.88's are the lowest U can go on the 8.8 ring gear.
Troy

Interesting...this is designed after something just like it that Ford used to send with various vehicles from the factory (on their 9"). I can't remember what they were called but were the same idea...maybe they were called snubbers? Anyway, the factory one was made out of cast I believe...

Neat idea. Couple of thoughts about them:

1. What happens when you're not running them at a steep angle? Meaning if your pinion isn't at 18* then the tip of this yoke guard could actually cause you to hang up more than if you didn't have it.

2. Most pinion supports are not smooth on the outside because of the casting and the raised area where the internal oiling is needed. I wonder how they get that thing to seal on the pinion support - if you didn't get it to seal well, it could cause issues with leaking and lead to pinion bearing failure (after getting smashed a couple of times and jostlin' the support directly).

Still a neat idea...

That includes gearing, 31 spline shafts, no locker, since I didn't mention it, but they could weld it up if I ask them to. Hi-pinion as well. Sorry I didn't give many details

xjj33p3r said:
That includes gearing, 31 spline shafts, no locker, since I didn't mention it, but they could weld it up if I ask them to. Hi-pinion as well. Sorry I didn't give many details

Sounds like a good deal then, go get it. :)

Back