• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ rims with 31's on a stock XJ

Cherokid

NAXJA Forum User
Will it work? I've read that 31's on the street are ok but off-road rub bad. I'm concerned about the backspacing with the TJ's. Will it make it worse or better? I did a quick search but didn't read anything difinitive.

I've started collecting lift parts for 4.5" and might store the wheels 'til I get the rest, again, will the backspacing be ok?

Good wheelin to ya,
Cherokid

Those are TJ rims, Rich? Which model? Mind if I snag that picture - I'm trying to gather a gallery of stock Jeep rims...

I was just going to ask if Rich's were aftermarket. I've seen what I believe are the same ones on a Cherokee, but I don't think I ever have on a TJ.

nhrocker - I was thinking those are the Gambler wheels...I may be thinking of a different design. Guess we'll have to wait for Rich to confirm or deny

I've seen those on YJs, not TJs. The TJ and ZJ have the nice Canyon rims which I think are 8". A rim I wouldn't mind having for my 98' zj dd is a Rubicon rim with the 31x10.50x16 mtr tires. People have them for sale, but want alot for them. Later model XJ rims are also very nice, they are a alloy 5 star pattern, besides these and the nice chrome 5 star 98' 5.9L rims, I don't think I like anymore Jeep rims, well maybe 1 more the 88'-92' or so XJ Laredo 5 star rim is nice. I have a few rims, including this 1 for sale I will be putting in the for sale section soon.

Troy

I have jeep canyon rims off of a late model wrangler with 30x9.5 tires. 31's would be ok as far as i can tell for street use untill you put on the lift. I have seen other xjs on here and pirate with stock wrangler wheels and 31-33" tires so i imagine it works fine.

I only got mine because i got them cheap and my original wheels were the nasty country/limited wheels which i hated, and the wrangler wheels and tires had only a few thousand miles on them.

PS. Look into going to 33's. I don't know anyone that got 31's and kept them long. :wave:

91 Jeep Project said:
Jim, those ARE Gamblers, a 15x8 that only Wranglers got........... :lecture:

Yea, I just picked them up and just got home. Nice wheels and the 9.50 are about 50% warn. Need to find two center caps for two of them though. Wonder if those fancy ones that jeepsareus sell will fit.

RichP.
No, they are different looking. 5 pt. star sort of with what looks like a darker than alum. paint on the center section with a satin rim. I'll poke around and see if I can find a picture on the net. I'm going ahead with the purchase. At $150 for a set of 4 with 50% tires I can't pass it up. Thanks for the input.

Anyone interested in some Limited rims with usable 235's?
Good (muddy) Wheelin' to ya,
Cherokid

This?????

Grizzly.jpg

Back