• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electric fans

littlexj1

NAXJA Forum User
i am looking to replace my clutch fan with 2..9 inch electric fans. i dont have the standard aux fan that comes stock, it would just be the 2 9 inch fans installed in the grill that push air in..i am gonna build a shroud to get the correct air flow into the radiator. .. the 9 inch fans can push 900-1100 CFM..both fans will be on a switch for those deep water moments...what do you guys think? will this setup be enough to cool the hot 4.0?

Im not one to say this much but you gotta search on this subject it has been covered about 1,000 times some say electrics rock others say they suck...I can tell you this after all the research Ive done those fans wont cut the mustard I picked up a perma cool 14" fan and it moves 3000cfm thats plus the stock electric that should do the trick I just need to swap over the a/c bracket from a tj so I can get rid of the fan clutch pulley and have all sorts of room..the consensus Ive read is you need at least 2000cfm on your primary fan plus the stock electric to keep it cool...search it and get comfy youll be readin a while...
themud

Dr. Dyno- from your experience, was the 1500 to 1800 cfm of the main fan enough, or would you find one rated at more if possible. I know you stated that it worked well, but do you think it could be better?

I recently purchased a ZIRGO 16" electric fan off of the motors section of E-BAY and payed a cool $100.00 even including shipping!

I thought that was a decent price for a 3300 cfm fan. I think that it will probably pull 20+ amps at start up but if you wire direct to the battery from the relay for power your alternator should handle it just fine.

Sorry I can't say about the install cause I have not done that yet.

JC95

I used the Flex-a-lite 110 fan on my 91 4.0 xj and was disappointed with the performance. It sounds like a C-130 landing using full reverse thrust and has an annoying harmonic with the engine at idle sometimes that goes WAAWAAWAAWAAWAA. Also it didn't help my overheating problem, and yes it is running the right way! That install using the factory shroud in the above link looks sweet. I'd try that if I hadn't broken my factory shroud while teaching my son some new cuss words after cutting my hands on those sharp metal edges mentioned in the link. So anyway, I'll be changing the head gasket and cleaning all the goo out of the cooling system before summer to try and fix the overheating problem for good.

nhrocker said:
Dr. Dyno- from your experience, was the 1500 to 1800 cfm of the main fan enough, or would you find one rated at more if possible. I know you stated that it worked well, but do you think it could be better?

I'd say the 1500-1800cfm of the main 14" fan combined with the estimated 1200cfm from the auxiliary 11" fan is plenty enough airflow. This fan combination kept my stroker cool last summer when it was 115*F and I'm confident it'll perform very well this summer too.
The current draw with both fans operating simultaneously isn't much and the stock alternator can comfortably keep up with it.

Dr. Dyno said:
I'd say the 1500-1800cfm of the main 14" fan combined with the estimated 1200cfm from the auxiliary 11" fan is plenty enough airflow. This fan combination kept my stroker cool last summer when it was 115*F and I'm confident it'll perform very well this summer too.
The current draw with both fans operating simultaneously isn't much and the stock alternator can comfortably keep up with it.

What sort of driving do you do mate? I thought with the way you built yours up that you dont spend a lot of time under full load in deep mud or sand while only going walking pace? I am in the middle of a fan conversion for someone else at the moment and have been running around in 90*F+ temps with only the stock electric fan running and had no problem at all. But if I was to offroad in these temps in hard slow conditions there is no way it would cope.

Gojeep said:
What sort of driving do you do mate? I thought with the way you built yours up that you dont spend a lot of time under full load in deep mud or sand while only going walking pace?

I don't Marcus. I do about 99% of my driving on the street with occasional offroad driving on slow trails. I don't know how my fan set up would be able to cope with driving for prolonged periods at low speed in thick mud or in soft sand, but I think that kind of environment would test any cooling system to the limit (and, in many cases, beyond). It's certainly coped fine with 115*F summers so far.

Last edited:
My setup would be for a DD in New England with somewhat regular extended trips (5 hour drives), some city driving (slow speed and such), and rides on backroads, logging roads, and some easy-moderate trails. That's a pretty general description, but I can say that I hear the stock fan turn on quite often in the summer, but I don't have a temp guage so I can't tell you how long or often it really stays in the higher temps. I've been thinking it would just be safer to at least get a fan rated to around 2000 cfm. Does that sound reasonable?

I wouldn't go with the flex a lite. I had two of the fans and the blade assembly jumped off the axis on washboard roads, hit the rad, broke a couple of blades and shorted out. I had lots of shock absorbing rubber washers on the 2nd one and it did it again. I spoke to a flex a lite rep at a 4wd show and he said that their fans are not really made for off road (maybe slow rockcrawling at best). I went back to belt driven fan after that.

Planetcat said:
I wouldn't go with the flex a lite. I had two of the fans and the blade assembly jumped off the axis on washboard roads, hit the rad, broke a couple of blades and shorted out. I had lots of shock absorbing rubber washers on the 2nd one and it did it again. I spoke to a flex a lite rep at a 4wd show and he said that their fans are not really made for off road (maybe slow rockcrawling at best). I went back to belt driven fan after that.
Blimey, that is terrible that their constuction is so bad. I do around 4,500 kms each trip out of 10,000 on wash board roads and have never had any trouble!

Back