• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford motorsport disk kit - anyone installed one?

OLAK

NAXJA Forum User
Am rebuilding a Cherokee D44 to bolt in place of the old 35, and am going to convert to disks. I like the idea of using new parts, cause everything else is going to be new. Has anyone any experience adapting the Ford Motorsports rear kit: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=1790 I guess this is the same parts as the explorer brakes, and I'm looking at the bolt pattern for the axle end and its very close to the non c clip 2 x 3 5/16 pattern at 2x 3 9/16. This would mean hogging out the 4 mounting holes each by 1/8". Wouldn't this be even easier than adapting zj backing plates/brakes?

Well, I've got the kit in my hands now, and I'm quite impressed: The only mods I have to do are: ream out each mounting hole by .125", and slightly enlarge the rotor's hub opening. The kit comes with all new "T" bolts and nuts, all the e brake shoes and hardware, disks ., calipers, and pads. Even a bearing preload spacer is included. All brand new and shiny!

Super great news. Should fit without too many more modifications on a 8.25 then as well I suppose. Right?

George Trilikis

Looks tempting. Can you explain what the phrase 2.5" brake gap means? Will the stock parking brake cables hook up?

Of course, I just built a 44 with all new drum stuff. :rattle:

Fred

remember that there are 2 axle housing end bolt patterns: the non c clip "square" bolt pattern used on early non c clip 35s and the xj 44, and the more modern pattern that current models use. The Ford kit (explorer) will virtually bolt on to the old square pattern with minimal mods ( enlarge the disk centre by about 40 thou, and file out the backing plate mounting holes each by .125 inward). The 2.5 inch brake gap that is refered to is the distance beween the housing flange and the axle flange. This is obviously critical as the rotor is mounted to the axle and the caliper is mounted to the housing. The explorer and jeep share the same 2.5" measurement.

I did this but I made my own backing plate and then just used all front XJ brake parts. that way I don't have all this wel this is that and that is this when I need to work on it. Same wrench to bleed all the brakes same brake pads etc. Also just did the swap on a 99TJ that put had an XJ 44 installed and they wokred great...Hopeing to get my the other one done sometime soon...

Fred said:
Looks tempting. Can you explain what the phrase 2.5" brake gap means? Will the stock parking brake cables hook up?

Of course, I just built a 44 with all new drum stuff. :rattle:

Fred

But I can rebuild my drums with ALL (and I mean everything) new stuff for $200, this is another $200. With 33's, the D44 drums work just fine. IF you wanted to go disc's I think this is a great option. Would cost about the same to get all the ZJ stuff, and you still have some used parts. Plus this has less modification. Get some pics up........... :us:

Fred, about the e-brake cable, FWIW on the standard Ford Rear Disk Brake "Kit" you can order from just about any 4x4 shop, they'll tell you up front to measure for a custom E-Brake Cable and the price (for me to have ordered the cable) was about $116.00.

Now I don't know much about making stuff, or making old stuff work (like re using all or part of the stock e-brake cable and rigging it), but I know thats a nice bit of cash for a cable.

I was pricing out doing the conversion on my 8.25 for later down the road.

Been running this kit on my MJ Model 20 rear for 3 years and it's a fairly simple swap. I'm still running stock ebrake cables, just used small cable clamps to attach them to the Ford e-brake levers, simple and effective.

Kudzu said:
I did this but I made my own backing plate and then just used all front XJ brake parts. that way I don't have all this wel this is that and that is this when I need to work on it. Same wrench to bleed all the brakes same brake pads etc. Also just did the swap on a 99TJ that put had an XJ 44 installed and they wokred great...Hopeing to get my the other one done sometime soon...
what kind of bracket to mount the calipers???

It one we came up with...Backing plate...I have one for a D35 and the D44...I am trying right now to get some more cut but my guy at the machine shop had to have surgery on his shoulder...

Kudzu, what did you do for ebrakes?

Got the discs back from the machine shop, so went to work installing everything. Took about 15-20 minutes to file out the mounting holes on each back plate. I originally bought Rubicon bearing retainers with the built in spacer and redrilled them, but realized that the original square pattern d44 ones were the proper pattern and I could use them with the spacer that comes with the ford kit. I had to trim the d44 retainer slightly with the grinder, then it all bolted right up perfectly! Now I just have to work on brake lines tomorrow and then bolt er in :)

going to use a line brake. Don't have anything right now and not really worried about it it is a auto and in park if it slides then the ebrake would not have held it in the first place....Line brake are about $25

Also I was mistaken earlier calipers bolt to the mount that is on the front of an XJ

Back