• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start with AC and heat

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
OK, Im not sure where to start so Ill just start when it started. I was driving along last week and my Jeep randomly died while I was driving. Defroster and cd player were going. Started it while still driving, and went home right away. Next morning wouldnt start at all. No power to anything, but the headlights and fan override work. So I did have power. I thought it might have been the ignition switch. Got one today, and took apart the dash, which is a major PITA. Not sure why, but I decided to turn off the heat selector thing. Well, after that, got power and the Jeep started. So, my ultimate question: What is wrong if I cant start the Jeep when the AC, heat, or defroster is one, but when it is off, starts and runs fine?

Alos, the instant I turn the AC, etc. on, the Jeep dies.
Sorry for the long explaination, and thanks for the help.

Someone please help me!!!!

Well, I thought that it was the hvac, but now I figured out that anything electrical is killing the Jeep. So, anyone have any ideas?

So I tried cleaning all the grounds as well as disconecting the battery to "reset" the computer. DIdnt really help at all. Anyone have any ideas?

I had a similar problem and found that the main power wire going to the fuse panel on the engine side of the firewall corroded off, I soldered it and it works fine.

Ok, so now it doesnt start at all. I thought it was a bad negative battery cable, but when I ran a wire off of that to ground it somewhere else, it didnt work.

Noodle, where is that wire? I looked at my fuse box and its a bunch of wires all jumbled up.

Im a deff. newb when it comes to the wiring on my Jeep. So use easy words. Thanks

john290xj said:
the minute the compressor kicks on it dies ?It sounds like a bad comp.clutch but check your charging voltage also
Nope, it wont start at all. There is no power to anything. CD player, lights, anything.

I forgot to add that this is a 89 with the I6. Not sure if that will affect anything

theres a group of ground wires that bolts to your engine block where your oil dip stick is (the stud that holds the dip stick to the block is where this group of wires should be)

check this group of wires... all need a good ground

check the ground wire at the relay/solenoid it is located right under the front side of that plastic cover on the right of the engine almost looks like the old for setup with 5 terminals and a bunch of eyelets with wires going to it

Thanks guys. Tried those and did nothing. I was thinking that it might be the ignition switch. Tried to find where it was and found that its the hardest thing to get to. How I love doing this kind of stuff.

Starboard M said:
Thanks guys. Tried those and did nothing. I was thinking that it might be the ignition switch. Tried to find where it was and found that its the hardest thing to get to. How I love doing this kind of stuff.

Does the starter turn?
The battery terminals clean? Corroded terminals can work intermittently.

Back