• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring Full Size XJ Gear Tail Light boxes

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
Got these tail light boxes from full size xj gear with Incandensent lights

http://fullsizexjgear.com/Fullsizexjgear boxes.htm

Got everything wired up using a Drawtite converter box, and I'm still having a little problem.

When I use the turn signal and brake light seperately, they work fine. However, when I have the brakes on and then turn on the turn signal, the light goes off (or reverts back to the tail lights if they are on).

The wierd thing is, is that if I turn on the emergency flashers while the brake is on....it works just fine.

Any suggestions?

We have double checked all connections. BTW- I have a 92 XJ

Thanks in advance

IntrepidXJ said:
Got these tail light boxes from full size xj gear with Incandensent lights

http://fullsizexjgear.com/Fullsizexjgear boxes.htm

Got everything wired up using a Drawtite converter box, and I'm still having a little problem.

When I use the turn signal and brake light seperately, they work fine. However, when I have the brakes on and then turn on the turn signal, the light goes off (or reverts back to the tail lights if they are on).

The wierd thing is, is that if I turn on the emergency flashers while the brake is on....it works just fine.

Any suggestions?

We have double checked all connections. BTW- I have a 92 XJ

Thanks in advance

$200 for taillights....... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

-sorry

Bringing this one back. I too got these lights, gift. I wired it in using a converter from napa. All the wires are correct, all the grounds are bolted to the body on top of bare metal. My problem is, not everything works. The only way I could get the brake and turn signals to work together is to piggyback the converter into the stock taillight harness and run the stock turnsignal bulb. Without a bulb, I only have taillights, unless I hit the brake then the light flashes if turn signals are activated. Very confusing, can any one help???
Thanks
Bill

i also have the same problem...but i noticed that when trailer wires are hooked up (like when towing) it works just fine

One of the first places I'd start is the flasher unit. Replace it with one of the elctronic units from the parts store. They don't cost that much more, at least then you'd have a known flashing unit, then you could trace whatever else is happening. Originals are probably the bimetal thermal units. Bought my boxes from Farmermatt and he tells you right from the start to switch them or replace them. I replaced with the electronic and have had no problems.

Back