• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Centering Pin Size Help

Mich88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, I thought the centering pins on the XJ are 5/8, but the guy at the parts store said they didn't have anything in that size, and that the company they carry doesn't make that size. What size are they exactly? Thanks, Christian

I'm thinking it's more like 5/16 with a 7/16 head. My numbers may be off, but not by much.

5/8 would be like your finger.

Okay, must been that the guy at Carquest had said he had 3/8 or 5/16, and I combined the two to get 5/8....I guess that is pretty big, haha! :gag:

If you've got 5/16 centering bolts and you're changing them, I would seriously consider picking up a good 3/8" drill bit and drilling your springs out for a 3/8" center bolt. I've seen WAY too many sheared 5/16" center bolts but my 3/8" are still in one piece, even being abused by driving the rig on the street all the time with a welded rear axle. Infact, the reason I went to the 3/8" bolts was because one of mine was sheared off for no apparent reason when I rebuilt my leaf packs.

NotMatt said:
If you've got 5/16 centering bolts and you're changing them, I would seriously consider picking up a good 3/8" drill bit and drilling your springs out for a 3/8" center bolt.
That's why RE springs use the larger 3/8" center bolt, too.

I changed my out for the 3/8 after snapping three 5/16 pins. We went through 2 drill bits but no more broken pins.

Back