• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

biggest tire for a 8.8

tvguy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 8.8 with a detroit what do you think the biggest tire size the axle can handle??

how about i turn the question around what is the biggest tire you plan to run on your rig. if you do a search on PBB you will find some good info on the 8.8. don't quote me on this but there was a guy on there that had 38's i beleive and didn't break till he was hammering on it with 400hp there is no doubt the 8.8 is a very strong axle it beats the 44 hands down and is slightly weaker in tortional axle strength than a d60

I'd say at least a 35", but you should be able to run up to a 37x12.50 tire on it. Yeah, I saw the strength ratings on it and the 8.8 is just below a 60 for axle shaft strength. Just weld the tubes to the housing and it should hold up well to what U throw at it. :)

Troy

Well I know I will get blasted but here we go...I want to go to 37's my rear is a 8.8 4.56 gears and detroit. I have an atlas and auto trans. My front is a D30 with the warn hub conversion and inner outer alloy shafts 4.56 and detroit. The front hub conversion specs says that nothing over a 32 is recemended but the warn alloy shafts are the same as a 44 but obviously the housing is weak. I have been reading and looking at other posts so I know the R/P is weak so since I do not hammer my jeep I was thinking if I went up to 37x12.5x15 or 36x13.5x15 that would be the limit on the D30 and with the 8.8 backing it up it may work out....maybe what do you think

you got your front end locked?

i dont think you would any problem running up to 38's on this axle. the shafts are almost as strong as a d60 rear axle. as far as the front d30. i dont think alot of people break the r&p gears on those axles. if the front gears are set up correctly and the axle has enough fluid you should be alright. but i would point out that the only problem i have seen on a d30 is the ball joints being weak on this axle

35's are pretty safe. It's not as much what the 8.8 can take, but what the limit of the front hp30 is which is a 35, but a 33 would be very safe. People swap in a 8.8 because it has 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern and close to the right width. If U swap out the front 30 to go up to a hp44 or something, it would be easier to then swap in the matching ford 9" at that time. Bottom line, the ford 8.8 is strong, but unless U plan to swap out the front hp30, don't go over a 35" tire. If U do go with a 44 from, get the ford 9", dana 60, or get wheel adapters to convert to the 5/6 on 5.5 bolt patterns or 8 on 6.6 if U go with the 3/4 or 1 ton 44 front axle/60 combo.

no comment on the D30...

but the 8.8 is beefy as long as you don't spin a tube. read this thread, particularly the posts from H8Monday: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24854

he beat it for 3 years on Sierra trails with 38.5x14.50s and a V8 before he did this:
993718-Mvc-011s.jpg

while doing this:
53-673371-MVC-004S.JPG

as he tells it:
I was running 38.5 SXs at the time, and we were wheeling at Fordyce. I was showing off in front of a good sized crowd at winch hill 3. I was nearly up and out of the granite wedge at the top of the climb, and started turning towards the trail, when my GF tells me Im about to drive off line and slip into the wedge. So as I started slipping, I decided to gas it out and try and lunge out. Well the rear tires broke loose at the top of the wedge, and the rear of the jeep free fell into the wedge, in 3rd gear low at about 4000 rpms. When the tires bound up at the bottom of the wedge it was like some threw a grenade under the rig. The rear driver tire, launched itself to just uner the driver side door, the rear passenger side moved forward about a foot. I tore my drive line to shreads, snapped and twisted my wrap bar like modern art, snapped both rear main leafs, both rear shafts, tore the shock mounts off,.... it was a total train wreck. It took 5 winches, 2 high lift jacks, several block and tackles, a couple of welders, a few lengths of chain, and bucket of spare metal and bolts, 2 comealongs, 6 guys and 4 hours to get it unwedged and repaired to be able to be dragged home 12 miles over pretty tough terrain. The snapped axle shafts held in all the way out, with just the calipers to retain them......C clips, I laugh, they are no problem with disc brakes.

Big Red said:
35's are pretty safe. It's not as much what the 8.8 can take, but what the limit of the front hp30 is which is a 35, but a 33 would be very safe. People swap in a 8.8 because it has 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern and close to the right width. If U swap out the front 30 to go up to a hp44 or something, it would be easier to then swap in the matching ford 9" at that time. Bottom line, the ford 8.8 is strong, but unless U plan to swap out the front hp30, don't go over a 35" tire. If U do go with a 44 from, get the ford 9", dana 60, or get wheel adapters to convert to the 5/6 on 5.5 bolt patterns or 8 on 6.6 if U go with the 3/4 or 1 ton 44 front axle/60 combo.
ok if the axles are alloy and the same size as a D44 what is the difference in strength compared to a D44?? I know the housing is weaker but what about the axles??

go look at the pirate post..... hands down the 8.8 is stronger, bigger r&p, stronger axle tube, better overall. if cost was an issue a d44 might and i say might be the way to go, but if you are looking at out right stregnth i dont hink you could feasible make a d44 stronger reguardless of shafts.

ive run an 8.8 with welded spiders. the 2 probs i have encountered, 1 of which has already been mentioned is spun tubes and the other is carrier strength, its shit. get a full detroit or full spool. an 8.8 with a mini spool and big tires is worthless, you'll end up grenading the carrier. i ran it on a yj with a tbi 350/th350/205 to the 8.8 b4 going full width. and it held up fine to 38 sx's with welded tubes and full carrier replacement. i have never broken a shaft or come close to it, hell all that happened and i didnt even toast a 1310 ujoint.

tvguy said:
Well I know I will get blasted but here we go...I want to go to 37's my rear is a 8.8 4.56 gears and detroit. I have an atlas and auto trans. My front is a D30 with the warn hub conversion and inner outer alloy shafts 4.56 and detroit. The front hub conversion specs says that nothing over a 32 is recemended but the warn alloy shafts are the same as a 44 but obviously the housing is weak. I have been reading and looking at other posts so I know the R/P is weak so since I do not hammer my jeep I was thinking if I went up to 37x12.5x15 or 36x13.5x15 that would be the limit on the D30 and with the 8.8 backing it up it may work out....maybe what do you think

I haven't had a problem with my 8.8 yet and I run 37's but I only have a tru-trac in the rear for now.

Back