• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's my gear ratio

Leithmc

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 XJ and would like to know how to find the gear ratio. The dealer can only do a vin# search on 1990 and newer. The diff has no tag on it. It's an automatic full load wagoneer limited with d30 front and d35 rear.

Leith

support the rear axle on jackstands -
paint a small dot on your driveshaft - any paint - fingernail polish is my favorite -
have someone spin the tire 10 times (Tranny in neutral helps here....) and count the driveshaft roations in that.

a 3.07 gear ratio DS will rotate about 31 times, 3.55 about 35 times, and 3.73 about 37 times, 4.10 will be about 41 times...

XJ_ranger said:
support the rear axle on jackstands -
paint a small dot on your driveshaft - any paint - fingernail polish is my favorite -
have someone spin the tire 10 times (Tranny in neutral helps here....) and count the driveshaft roations in that.

a 3.07 gear ratio DS will rotate about 31 times, 3.55 about 35 times, and 3.73 about 37 times, 4.10 will be about 41 times...
Best, most reliable answer yet.

Yucca-Man said:
Best, most reliable answer yet.

husker fan? come on - they were a great team - Id say that we were the champions of the 90's with 3 championship wins in 94,95,97 and winning our confrence (Big 8/Big 12 depending on the year) in 92, 93, 94, 95, 97, 99

we just have this friggen Californian who wants to throw the ball, everyone knows that Nebraskan's dont throw the ball...

were in a rebuilding stage - it'll come around... Just wait - Huskers will be back on top of the Big 12 soon enough again

now i'll just have to wait for Oakie_Terry to chime in - so i can really have fun at Winterfest...

Leithmc said:
I have an 87 XJ and would like to know how to find the gear ratio. The dealer can only do a vin# search on 1990 and newer. The diff has no tag on it. It's an automatic full load wagoneer limited with d30 front and d35 rear.

Leith

You have 3.55's.

Will this same "theory" work to check the front gear ratio?

I think mine has been changed prior to my purchase but don't know for sure so need to check before doing any wheeling.

Thanks,

JC95

jeepcherokee95 said:
Will this same "theory" work to check the front gear ratio?

I think mine has been changed prior to my purchase but don't know for sure so need to check before doing any wheeling.

Thanks,

JC95

yes - just make sure that the front axle is off the ground and if you have a disco front axle that you spin the non disconect (drivers) side...

Back