• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 oil pressure sender test

brtb

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question, since I can't find the CD with the FSM on it... when you unplug the oil pressure sender, should the gauge drop to zero or swing all the way over to 80?

Trying to track down a problem where it hovers around 13 idling, then quickly drops to zero every once in a while. Doesn't sound like it's not getting any oil, at idle the only audible clicking comes from the injectors. Trying to track down a mechanical gauge, neither Advance nor AutoZone has one.

brtb said:
Quick question, since I can't find the CD with the FSM on it... when you unplug the oil pressure sender, should the gauge drop to zero or swing all the way over to 80?

Trying to track down a problem where it hovers around 13 idling, then quickly drops to zero every once in a while. Doesn't sound like it's not getting any oil, at idle the only audible clicking comes from the injectors. Trying to track down a mechanical gauge, neither Advance nor AutoZone has one.

There are plenty gauges on Ebay. Summit or Jegs will have them also. Are there any autoparts locations around that have any performance stuff? That's where you'll have better luck if any. It doesnt have to be an oil pressure gauge you can plug just about any psi gauge up to it if you're troubleshooting. Good Luck :)

FUNKYTEE5

Ok, unplug the sensor and it stays at zero. 3 wires, so not sure which one to ground for that test without looking at a diagram... bad part is I obtained a cheap mechnical gauge and it's saying about the same thing, not as abrupt a drop to zero but it's getting pretty close.

I'm hoping it's either a bad oil filter or maybe this engine just doesn't like Castrol Syntec (they were out of Mobil1 at the last change)... that's next on the list.

If that's not it... oil pump/screen clogged maybe?

brtb said:
Ok, unplug the sensor and it stays at zero. 3 wires, so not sure which one to ground for that test without looking at a diagram... bad part is I obtained a cheap mechnical gauge and it's saying about the same thing, not as abrupt a drop to zero but it's getting pretty close.

I'm hoping it's either a bad oil filter or maybe this engine just doesn't like Castrol Syntec (they were out of Mobil1 at the last change)... that's next on the list.

If that's not it... oil pump/screen clogged maybe?
Since the mechanical guage is also showing a low/zero reading.... that sounds very bad. There's a good chance your oil pump is dead/dying or maybe clogged. Otherwise, your main bearings have been damaged & the engine just can't keep pressure (suggested by the fact that it sometimes has pressure, then drops to zero or near-zero as it gets hot). Unless that mechanical guage is wrong, you'd better take it to a mechanic.

Good news is, the bearings can be replaced without pulling the engine (they are accessable by removing the oil pan and oil pump). The repairs will be expensive though (oil pumps are obscenely expensive, & the bearings just require a lot of labor). IMO you should have a trustworthy mechanic look at it, at least diagnose it for you even if you're willing to do the repairs.

For your sake, though, I hope it's just the sending unit is bad. I guess you could go ahead & try that first (it's just a $12 part), but you don't want to run the engine at all if your bearings/oil pump is/are shot...

Back