• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are the jeep gods tricking me, or is my overhead console harness already installed?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 Country edition Cherokee. I've been planning to put an overhead console in it. I've been doing a lot of research on this project, and read that I would either have to find a wiring harness, or make my own.

Well after about six months of searching hi and low, I finally got my hands on a wiring harness for the console. Coincidently, it's out of a 96 XJ as well. I wanted to get to know the harness better, so I removed all the electrical tape from it (not an easy task). The 13-pin connector for the console separates itself into two connectors at the opposite end, one red and one black. There is a 3rd one at the bottom, but it's for the factory keyless entry.

So I got off my lazy ass tonight and removed the passenger side kick panel, hoping to find the connector ends that my newly located wiring harness would plug into.

What did I find? I found not only the connector plugs, but it looks like I have the overhead console wiring harness already installed!!!! I located all the wires in the passenger side kick panel that I have in my harness I bought. They all run up the passenger side A-pillar. The connectors were identical, as well as the wiring colors. I figure this will save me a lot of trouble wiring the damn thing in.

I dropped the cover for my keyless entry on my headliner, and dug my finger around up there hoping to find the 13-pin connector that plugs into the console computer. I wasn't able to find it, but my finger is only a couple inches long. Hopefully it'll be tucked up under there when I drop the headliner for the install.

Has anyone else found their overhead console wiring harness preinstalled?

Re: Are the jeep gods tricking me, or is my overhead console harness already installed?

My 2000 XJ had a harness...unfortunately the harness did not include ALL the wires required for the OH consoles trip monitor. Just enough to power up the keyless entry and lighted visor mirrors. Count the wires in the harness coming down from the overhead, if you have enough hey that's great.

Check out this link, www.paceenterprises.us/console

there are connectors drawn out and count the wires.

Tom

Re: Are the jeep gods tricking me, or is my overhead console harness already installed?

The link doesnt work?

There is a matching number of wires, even matching wire colors, with the harness in my Jeep to the harness I bought out of a '96. I'm pretty happy. That'll save me a lot of work. Now if I could just fish out that 13 pin connector without taking down the headliner lol.

heck no I can use all the computer help I can get, still use slide rule.

Hey 90Pioneer, about the install, use very sharp exacto knife blades to cut the holes. do you need the measurements? I have photos used from Tim in MN that have a tape measure showing how far back from the mirror to make the cuts. They area t home and I can scan tonight (maybe) and e-mail to you.

Also did you get the middle bracket?

Tom

Doing this myself in my '90 Pioneer and taking my time to understand all the wiring. Looking tonight at a schematic the wiring looks like it's backwards to the schematic? [mirrored?] I have a thread going in the mod forum right now.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46983

I'm not sure that it will fit the same, but mine came out of a limited donor. The door says it was manufactured 11-90 C so thinking a '91? as it had the newer style roof rack and front header panel/grill/trim.

While I was there, I measured all the holes that were in it where they situate and have the back part to use as an actual template since it's a tapered rectangle, and not square. I don't know if they're the same, but if you need the measurements, let me know if they'll be of help to you.

Yes, the measurements and pics would be great!

I have a console and brackets out of a '90, and then another console and brackets out of a '96.

The '90 has one long bracket, attaching itself to both front and rear dome lights on the console. The one from the '96 has two small brackets. The front one, which the console screws into, and another one sort of in the middle. It seems to just slide into place. Am I correct in thinking the rear bracket does not get mounted to the console, just to the roof? It just hangs on it? Doesn't seem very secure. And on the '96 console, there is also a plastic tab sticking out the back that slides under the headliner to help support it.

Here are the pictures you requested. Let me know if you cannot view the numbers on the tape measure. The measuring started where the headliner meets the windshield. The two forwardmost screws are the same ones for the sunvisors.

100_1602.jpg

100_1600.jpg

100_1591.jpg

100_1589.jpg

These photos were sent to me by Tim in MN for my install on a 2000.

Another link I used is here.

Good Luck!

Tom

90Pioneer said:
Yes, the measurements and pics would be great!

I have a console and brackets out of a '90, and then another console and brackets out of a '96.

The '90 has one long bracket, attaching itself to both front and rear dome lights on the console. The one from the '96 has two small brackets. The front one, which the console screws into, and another one sort of in the middle. It seems to just slide into place. Am I correct in thinking the rear bracket does not get mounted to the console, just to the roof? It just hangs on it? Doesn't seem very secure. And on the '96 console, there is also a plastic tab sticking out the back that slides under the headliner to help support it.

Was away all weekend, but will try to get the measurements done for you. Basically on the one I pulled ['91 I think, as manufacture date is 11-90 C ] The Front bracket the console screws into. On the back of the console is a type of 'lip' that basically slides up into the headliner. The back bracket goes where the original courtesy light goes, and the console pushes up into it and snaps in place. The wiring is what I've still not figured out to understanding and still working on it. Want to make sure I know what's what before I start going and ripping into it and wire it wrong. Using an FSM diagram, but seems it's backwards to my wiring? Don't know. Trying to do the wiring up on a table before I get it installed, but so far hasn't worked at all. Not sure what I'm doing wrong at all
As for my existing harnesses, the temp sensor is in the front so has to be somewhere, so need to find where it comes out so I can hook that up......

I quickly sketched this out of the donor vehicle. My plan is to pencil out the area to be cut, and outline the console, then cut small, and then slowly work it bigger as needed. Hope this helps.

http://www.underground-ink.biz/images/overhead_console.jpg

Got most of the wiring done, except for the last two wires. Almost ready to start getting it into the jeep. Just need a couple of warm days.

Back