• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what tire is better

what tire is better?

• Mickey Thompson Baha Claw M/T's

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • BF Goodrich M/T's

Votes: 57 87.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Super Swamper!! Sorry. I've driven both the others and the TSL radials ride better and have more traction. They probably don't wear quite as well, but thats comparing my experience to others. And I tend to wear tires out fast.

My 35" BFG/MT's are great on-road. They are just loud enough to scare women and small children. Don't know much about Baja Claws, but I'm really not too savvy about the uni-directional tread patterns.

Grzz701 said:
Goodyear MTR's. I have had mine for over a year and they have worn well and worked in all kinds of off-road situations.
I sencond this one. But because it wasnt a choice, I would go with the BFGs. A couple of my friends have them on their Jeeps and they work well. Deff. not ment for the mud, but rocks and street they work well.

Here is a link to a website that give reviews of the top MT's. They don't have Interco though which is what I'm settling for. I have ran SS LTBs for a few years with horrible road manners , but awesome off road traction, I'm calming down to a Truxus now.
Tire rack

the BFG MTs I had were great in rocks and on the road. Not too noisy. Not the best in mud but way better than ATs. Just a good all around tire. Really good in Moab and Tellico.

Grzz701 said:
Goodyear MTR's. I have had mine for over a year and they have worn well and worked in all kinds of off-road situations.

I 2nd the MTR suggestion, it's an awesome tire and a very good street tire. It's OEM on the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon so that might give an indication of its good street manners and Rubicon (heavy rock) applications. It isn't a great mud tire, but I just have used it in very clay greasy mud where anything but a Bogger would do good in. The BFG MT is probably a bit better in the mud but a hair louder on the street than a mtr. Either of these tires are great dd tires and do good offroad. The Pro Comp XT is good to, but because it is unidirectional, you need to take that into acct if U blow a tire and need to replace it.
Conclusion: MTR is the best in my opinion and West Coast approved, next BFG MT, Pro Comp XT, maybe Dunlop MT for cheap good tire. Check with Tire Rack or Sam's Club for all these tires except the Pro Comps.

Troy

Throw Bridgestone Dueler MT's in the mix. Great tire, never had a problem on pavement, mud, rock, etc. Pretty quiet, don't know how quiet compared to the others but quieter than the Scorpion ATs they replaced.

the BFG MT rides rough, anyone who say's different isn't being fully honest with themselves. I haven't ridden on anyone's BFG MT's that don't rumble. The MTR is a good off road tire with good street manners but for what you are asking I would go with the BFG AT. Great on the street and I went through plenty of mud holes with mine and at 35K miles they still had about half tread on them. If you are going to use them mainly on the street and only osmetimes on the trails that is what I would do, the price is much better then the mickey thompson's and the wear and ride is not even in the same league as the MT. That said, my next set of wheels are going to be BFG MT's but the majority of my driving will be on or to and from the trails.

I have the BFG MTs 31x10.5s on my DD and have been rather disappointed. Front end was aligned when the tires were put on, they've been rotated about every 7000 miles & balanced.

I run with other XJs that run Kumhos, ProComps, & Truxxus and the BFGs do not do as well, either muddin, rockin, or in total miles on the road.

No comparison, The BFG is a far better all around tire than the claw. I have not seen the claws do anything well (they are best in a strait line climbing dry dirt) other than that forget them. And they are VERY lound on the street.

Everything is compared to the BFG MT. There is a reason for that!!

Michael

I've heard that Pro Comp's X-Terrain series is a great all around performer.

Goodyear MT/Rs, Yokohama M/Ts are good all purpose tires that are good too.

The more aggressive tires can wear badly if ur rig is going to be doing double duty as a daily driver and offroad rig.

XJRedneck said:
I've heard that Pro Comp's X-Terrain series is a great all around performer.

Goodyear MT/Rs, Yokohama M/Ts are good all purpose tires that are good too.

The more aggressive tires can wear badly if ur rig is going to be doing double duty as a daily driver and offroad rig.

The 3 tires U mentioned are all very similar for use as a dd/wheeler with the MTR being the best. I've run Mtrs and XT's and love the Mtrs.

i run 35' mtrs on my pickup and am very impressed, i have been a loyal bfg at man since my first 4x4 all the way to the ko's and if it wasnt for the fact that i got the mtrs for a rediculous amount i probably would have passed them up. they are better than an at in the mud and get excelent grip on just about every thing else except maybe wet pavement.

I'm going to go ahead and put in my plug for the Claws. I've got the radial claws and they seem to work fine. They rumble a bit at low speed, but they're not terribly loud. I can easily listen to my radio and carry on a conversation at highway speeds. Traction so far in mud and snow has been outstanding for me. I've got 33x12.50s.
I will admit the sidewalls are somewhat weak, I've had one punctured by Pep Boys getting the alignemnt done. Slashed a big hole in them.

A bit aggressive for a DD yes, even though that's what I use them for, but still has great traction.

Back