• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can anyone tell the year

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
Im having trouble guessing the year of this XJ
IMG_0043.jpg

Gotta be 95 or older with that steering wheel. I'd say 93 or 94.

EDIT: I didnt see the tire carrier. I agree it must be older than 90s.

Last edited:
I think it looks older. The roof rack looks like my 88. The wheels look like they are off a 90 vintage. It has a factory style tire carrier on the back also. I know my 88 has one of those also. The seats have head rests so you know its not a 84. Just some ideas.

tripletsjeepin said:
I think it looks older. The roof rack looks like my 88. The wheels look like they are off a 90 vintage. It has a factory style tire carrier on the back also. I know my 88 has one of those also. The seats have head rests so you know its not a 84. Just some ideas.

yea its a 95 just checking who know thier chit
its for auction and the first thing I noticed was the wheels
new wheels old jeep

I know it isn't a 95. I own one and know friends that have them with the other packages- it's older than a 95.

The roofrack is older than that, the seats are older than that, and the bumper is older than that. I would say someone put newer rims on a mid to late 80's Cherokee, either that or replaced all those other parts! (which is a possibility) There is no way that the whole thing is a 95.

I can't read if it says Pioneer on the side just below 'Cherokee'.
'Pioneer' was dropped in 1991.
Three point rear seat belts first appeared in 1990, I can't make those out in the pic either.
I don't know if the grille is the original one but it has 10 slots (including the broken section), that would mean 87 or older.

The wheels are actually from a much later model XJ.
Roof rack is pre-mid90's.

VegasAnthony said:
yea its a 95 just checking who know thier chit
No it's not a 95, unless it has been customized. Notice the stainless trim band above whetre the grille should be. It's not part of the grille, and the short piece that turns the corner is a separate piece. That's the old AMC style nose -- Chrysler changed that in 1990. It's an '89 or older with newer wheels on it.

I find the easiest way to tell the difference between '90 or early, or '91 and on is by 1] the roof rack and 2] the front header panel and how the grill and trim are, as that's when they were changed. The type of roof rack on mine thus far I've never found it on anything but '90's. The one with the silver screw wheel through the straight upright sliders I've yet to find on anything but 80's.

The header panels are interchangeable as a whole unit though. My '90 is presently a '93. Just it's components on it differ. MIght be changing again though since I have to rebuild the front again due to my 'altercation' a couple weeks back.

it can't be any newer than '87 as that was the last year of the 10 slot grill that this XJ has, after that they were all 8 slot grills.

eric

Back