• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

use waggy 6 lug outers on dana 30?

Wha?

You'd have to swap the hole knuckle, as everything on the D30 is different from the D44. Even the inner knuckle would have to be swapped. Lots-o-work.

having cut and turned knuckles on my Waggy D44, I don't think it would be difficult at all. it's just a matter of grinding the knuckles off of both axles, which is time consuming but not difficult, and welding the D44 ones on the D30. There are 2 complications to this; 1) axle tube size, most D44s will have larger tubes, there are some that have the same size tubes, do a search to find which. CJ D30s also use a D44 inner knuckle so that's an option if the tube size is the same. or you could get a spacer tube cut. 2) inner axle shaft length, I'm not sure if it is possible to accomplish with a D30 inner shaft, you may need one made at a custom length.

BrettM said:
having cut and turned knuckles on my Waggy D44, I don't think it would be difficult at all. it's just a matter of grinding the knuckles off of both axles, which is time consuming but not difficult, and welding the D44 ones on the D30. There are 2 complications to this; 1) axle tube size, most D44s will have larger tubes, there are some that have the same size tubes, do a search to find which. CJ D30s also use a D44 inner knuckle so that's an option if the tube size is the same. or you could get a spacer tube cut. 2) inner axle shaft length, I'm not sure if it is possible to accomplish with a D30 inner shaft, you may need one made at a custom length.

When I was thinking about doing my 30/44 hybrid, I was looking at the axle, I think the coil buckets look a little bit too close to the inners to get them off clean...maybe im wrong though (I was also told this by 2 diff shops).

hjeepxj said:
When I was thinking about doing my 30/44 hybrid, I was looking at the axle, I think the coil buckets look a little bit too close to the inners to get them off clean...maybe im wrong though (I was also told this by 2 diff shops).
They're right Andrew. It'd be pretty tough to get a plasma cutter in there on the driver's side.

What is the pattern size on the 6 bolt Dakotas?

just swap the shafts with v6 2wd taco shafts... they are 5x4.5" bp... you can use the c's from a cj d30 and the 44 knuckles will work..... lookup the write up on pirate... its been done before... or just swap the front for a waggy 44... i know where one is in great shape for 150.....

BrettM said:
it's not normal (chevy, toyota, waggy) 6 lug, i think it's 4.5" bolt circle.

correct...

MC-92 said:
just swap the shafts with v6 2wd taco shafts... they are 5x4.5" bp... you can use the c's from a cj d30 and the 44 knuckles will work..... lookup the write up on pirate... its been done before... or just swap the front for a waggy 44... i know where one is in great shape for 150.....

Thats billavista I think your talking about, and he went w/leafs, cause you have to take the coil mounts off to get to the inner c's.

I say just say screw that hybrid stuff and go straight to the 44.

MC-92, I just niticed you are in arkansas.... I am in north mississippi. I want that axle. I may even end up swapping to leaves If I can keep the truck low enough. :)

mississippi_xj said:
MC-92, I just niticed you are in arkansas.... I am in north mississippi. I want that axle. I may even end up swapping to leaves If I can keep the truck low enough. :)
how low are you talking? you can get just about any lift height you want with either Waggy or YJ springs or lift springs. the lowest you could get SOA would be about 5", if you waned lower you could go SUA.

i was under the opinion that dakota and durangos have a different bolt pattern that the chevy/toyota.every one else. the toyota is 6 on 5.5 and i think the dakotat is either 6 on 4.5 or 6 on 5. just another mopar fopar. also didnt some of the early waggys come with a d30 front axle?

that's what we just said, that the dakota/durango have a smaller 6 lug.

some early Waggys may have had a D30, but all the driver's drop ones from 80 on up use a D44. the only ones to really avoid are the 83-84 ones with a vacuum disconnect.

the reason to keep a 30 is because you already have it and it's already set up for coils. a Waggy D30 would be neither of these, and would be passenger drop if it even exists. also it would be low-pinion. if you have to start with a bare axle you might as well make it a 44.

let me make my self clear...... you were looking to use a toy rear axle that has a 6 lug rear bolt pattern? the reason to alter the front hpd30 was to get 6 lug? if you were to use the outters off of a older waggy d30 to gain the 6 lug wheel mounting surface. would that not work?

BrettM said:
how low are you talking? you can get just about any lift height you want with either Waggy or YJ springs or lift springs. the lowest you could get SOA would be about 5", if you waned lower you could go SUA.

I guess 5 or so would be fine.... I am running 3 at the moment and it would be perfect for 33's (tj flares)

I could run 35's with 5 or so inches.

scotty

Back