• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

soft shocks

younggun96

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have a 96 cherokee with a 3" lift that I put oodles of miles on weekly. It has been a great rig. It looks good on the road and goes like heck off the road. Made more than one buddy a jeep believer in this ride!

Anyhow my problem is I need a softer shock that will provide a decent ride do to all the miles I am racking up these days. I am currently running Pro Comp ES3000 shocks and they are stiffer than any shock I have ever owned. I have replaced the upper shock mounts with a homebrew kit. This allows me to run a double eyed shock rather than the bar pin type used from the factory. Let me know what your experiences are and which shocks you feel give the best ride. Thanks!

go up another inch or so and get some RE drop brackets. You'll wonder if you really need to change shocks.

Pro Comp ES3000 are rough gas shocks, & probably make your XJ ride like a 5 ton truck. Rancho 9000 adj shocks would be nice, but $$$. I've been happy w/ my DT3000's.

Rob

I've ridden in a rig that used to have extremely stiff shocks. He swapped out to Rancho RSX's and it got much more comfortable. Much nicer on road as well as off and cheaper than the 9000's, they're just not adjustable.

FELIX said:
Pro Comp ES3000 are rough gas shocks, & probably make your XJ ride like a 5 ton truck. Rancho 9000 adj shocks would be nice, but $$$. I've been happy w/ my DT3000's.

Rob
I had the ES3000's and they DID make my XJ ride like a 5 ton truck! Pitched them in the trash and put on DT3000's. Happy with mine too. Search the forums as this has been beat to death but, I think the Doetsch Techs are the best bang for the buck. I also threw out my ProComp front coils, and am saving to replace the ProComp AALs (all of which are contributing to the harsh ride)

I run the old RS 9000 set on 3 up front and 2 in the rear. seems to be good option.
I am leaning towards the bilstein 5100 or the RE monotubes in the near future.

thanks for all the input guys.FELIX I had to laugh out loud reading your comment. A five ton truck is exactly what this thing rides like, my wife actually refuses to drive the thing at this point due to the beating you take on our wonderful Ohio roads right now. Who handles the DT300's?

I got mine from www.rocky-road.com

There have been some complaints about the DTs from people up in the slush belt who say that if the rig doesn't get flexed much, the shaft rusts badly and then when you flex the seal is destroyed by the rusty shaft. . .

Not a problem for me since mine gets flexed. . . You Can spend alot More, and get a better shock (My wife is getting the Rancho 9000s for the tow rig, and I also seriously considered the Bilstein 5100's for her) - just about anything will be an improvement over Pro-Comp. . .

Back