• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

center console problems!!!!

fisher446

NAXJA Forum User
ok im in the middle of removing all my carpet and im about to herculine my interior. The only thing stopping me at the moment is the center console. For the life of me i can not get it out. I have removed the shifter nob, 2 screw from the shifter, 1 screw from the transfer case shifte, 2 from inside the storage compartment. What els do i need to move, do i have to pry it off or does it just slide out. Pleas can someone help me ASAP cause it is driving me crazy.........

What year is the XJ?

Just outta curiosity...let us know how much noisier the interior gets at highway speeds w/ the herculiner in place of the carpet!! :D

I'm honestly curious. Wet carpet sucks...but so does a headache! I suppose you could make the herculiner thicker toward the firewall....

will do. It wont really matter anyways cause my OTR muds will be howling lol. I took all the carpet out but i lieft all the insulation on the firewall. Hopefully by tomorrow ill be done with the herculiner...

I just pulled out my carpet two days ago. 1987 XJ 2 door. Haven't herculined it yet, as I am waiting for spring and some repair work (3" hole in tranny tunnel currently rivited over with a plate, gonna welt it up). I'm running Michelin "Plus 80" street tires of the 215/75/15 flavor, and the noise isn't too bad at this time. Definately louder, but not headache inducing. A friend in Atlanta has had his herculined for a little over a year now, is running 32" swampers, and it realy doesn't sound bad.

I must admit, I like the Jeep even more without the carpet. :D

Copperhead

Anybody ever spec out the utility rubber ones they put in the USGovt and police versions ? I have looked around a bit for them but have never found them..

It gets a little louder but it is bearable. The noise does not cut through you, it's just a little louder. I have no problem on 11 hour trips to indy in mine. The floor does give off a little more heat though but thats not bad either.
Joe

Back