• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear driveshaft question

Dirk Pitt

Adam Dowling
I installed my HD SYE kit last weekend and was all set to order the new driveshaft, but my question now is, would a new one be a waste of money?

I measured 33" (3.5" lift) for the new shaft and that's within a half inch of the stock front shaft. So I took my spare front shaft and it bolted in perfect.

Is there any reason I'm overlooking that I shouldn't just leave it as is? There seems to be at least an inch slip in either direction. The slip yoke is not centered (it's extended out a little farther than center), but there is approx. an inch of extension left.

Long story short...should I buy a new one or just run a stock front shaft?

'96 XJ, 4.0, AW4, NP231 w/ performance off-road center HD SYE ($170 shipped BTW) 8.25 axle.

TIA

Last edited:
Thats about the numbers on both my XJ's,I can do the same swap(as a trail fix) on both.Since on my 95 I had to have 2 new shafts made anyway, I had TW use the 4" yokes on both and made both from 2 1/2" tube.Strength of a stock front shaft would be my only concern(and thats been debated a few times).

This is what I'm going to do. I am cheap but think it would be great to be able to have one shaft as a spare for both. What rearend do you have? D35 D44 or Chy 8.25. just curious. I know the driveshaft lengths are different.

the front shaft is def not weak. the tubing is much thicker than the stock slip yoke shaft. The weak link in the rear driveline isnt the shaft if anything its the stock axle yoke or the axleshafts. That amount of slip should be perfect. Unless you plan on putting on coilovers in the rear. the leafs arent going to flex enough to drop that shaft in half.

Of course its the last thing in the post. I must have just skipped that part. Sorry about that. Apparently I was thinking it should be blinking and underlined.

I guess I'll do it and try to find another spare just in case.

The front shaft looks exactly like most aftermarket rear shafts that I've seen. I've never had either one apart though. Is there really that much difference between the two?

Back