• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cross member design?

JDComptonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Here's what I want to do...

Use 2x6x.250" tubing, cut out a notch in the center and box back in for the tranny mount, weld some C channel on the ends to sandwich the frame and run bolts through it as well as utilizing the stock mounting holes.

My question is, is it imperative that I notch out the center? I know it would raise the t-case, how would that affect the linkage? Also, I want to put in two more mounting holes in the bottom of the frame rails, one in front and one behind the stock holes, I've heard the term crush sleeves or something like that to use, anyone have any experience putting nuts in the frame rails?

I know this sounds like overkill, but it's also going to have LA mounts on it as well as tranny/t-case skids.

If you are mounting long arms to this, then I would try to distribute the load along more of the frame than just immediately fore and aft of the stock crossmember mounting holes.

Not sure what you mean by "notching" the tube,take a look at mine,I did build a t-case drop in mine,otherwise it would have been straight across.Mine has exactly the same overall dimensions as a stock crossmember(except for the drop)!
Long arm pics

I've seen your pics before using the "search". That's exactly what I mean when I said "notch".

Did you actually drop the TC by doing that? Would there be any adverse affects by leaving it straight across, like with the linkage?

Thanks guys.

Josh

JDComptonXJ said:
I've seen your pics before using the "search". That's exactly what I mean when I said "notch".

Did you actually drop the TC by doing that? Would there be any adverse affects by leaving it straight across, like with the linkage?

Thanks guys.

Josh

I believe he did that so he wouldn't have to clearance the floor or loose ground clearance.
Billy

My crossmember is raised 1/4" above stock location. I probably could've gone a little higher without floor problems, but it's still good. I may have been able to go a little bit more, who knows.

The notch is needed if you are making a higher clearance crossmember and don't want to cut the floor open. The linkage won't be a problem, all you will have to do is adjust it a little bit if it's not shifting correctly...not a deal at all.

170272_60_full.jpg

JDComptonXJ said:

Thanks guys.

Josh

On my 2000 I did it just to relieve the angles a bit more.On the 95 I did it again mainly due to the size of the Rock-trac!Bottom clearances remained the same as stock!As long as I didnt lose anything I figured that was a good thing!

Back