• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Lock cylinder

w_howey

NAXJA Forum User
My ignition lock cylinder is jammed. It won't turn forward of backwards. I followed the FSM procedure, but I can't turn it to the on position to remove it. Any ideas?

w_howey said:
My ignition lock cylinder is jammed. It won't turn forward of backwards. I followed the FSM procedure, but I can't turn it to the on position to remove it. Any ideas?

Ouch, been there on a Bronco II years ago. I had no choice but to drill the tumblers and "armor plates" out of the old cylinder with a good titanium cobalt drill bit and got it to turn for removal/replacement. I think the XJ would be very similar even though it's a GM cylinder.

Break/pry-off the outer key housing and then drill roughly 3/16" dia. about 1/8" below the bottom key slot. This is where the tumblers live and you'll feel it when the bit hits each hardened steel plate in-between the pot metal. You'll have to get through 5-7 of those but start checking to see if it will turn after about 5 so you don't go to far. Once you wipe-out the tumblers, it will turn and you should be in good shape to remove the old and drop in the new cylinder.

However - beware, I've never done this with my XJ but I would if I had to based on my Ford experience with a similar problem.

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread but mine does kinda the same thing It will turn forward and start the vehicle but it won't turn back far enough to pull the key out. I have no idea whats wrong but i'm gonna take it all apart tomorrow, if I figure anything out I'll let ya know.

My shifter interlock had a lot of play in it and most times I would have to slam it into park to get the key to turn all the way off.
Start simple and cheap. Jam the shifter from 1-2 to P as fast as you can, that may be the problem.

This is assuming you have an automatic.

I just rewired an ignition switch assembly from a CJ7 in and put it in the dash. Works great.

yuppiexj said:
My shifter interlock had a lot of play in it and most times I would have to slam it into park to get the key to turn all the way off.
Start simple and cheap. Jam the shifter from 1-2 to P as fast as you can, that may be the problem.

This is assuming you have an automatic.

I am already in the lock position. it won't move out of it.

I was thinking of either punching the column, or drilling out the tumblers. I popped the plate/ears off the out side, and have quite a bit of debris from the cylinder laying down in the bottom of the column.

I had to replace my lock cylinder, same problem. 12-15 bucks down at Autozone. I pulled the steering wheel, followed the directions and hot darn the thing works each and every time now. The only hitch I can see is if you've got an airbag, I didn't have to contend with that.

Tarakian said:
I had to replace my lock cylinder, same problem. 12-15 bucks down at Autozone. I pulled the steering wheel, followed the directions and hot darn the thing works each and every time now. The only hitch I can see is if you've got an airbag, I didn't have to contend with that.

Problem is, the directions call for the lock cylinder to be turned to the 'on' position for removal. It won't turn either way.

I don't remember having to have the switch in a certain position. Once you get to the switch you either take a small screw out or depress a pin and pull the lock out. Maybe my memory is rusty....

Tarakian said:
I don't remember having to have the switch in a certain position. Once you get to the switch you either take a small screw out or depress a pin and pull the lock out. Maybe my memory is rusty....

With all the ignition locks I've replaced, about 4-5 but not on my XJ, you always needed to have it in the ON position to remove the cylinder. When the tumblers get screwed-up to the point that the key no longer works and/or goes in all the way, it's time to drill.

XJXJ said:
With all the ignition locks I've replaced, about 4-5 but not on my XJ, you always needed to have it in the ON position to remove the cylinder. When the tumblers get screwed-up to the point that the key no longer works and/or goes in all the way, it's time to drill.

Every single one I have done is the same way(in the on position). I have never had one that wouldn't turn before though. A GM mechanic buddy says if I take off the interior cover, so I can see the tumbler housing, I may be able to free it from the carrier for the ignition rod, and get it out that way. If not, its drill time.

Back