• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which oil to use????

K2XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,
Just wondering if i could get some help on which oil would be best for my XJ.
I have just pasted the 120000km (75000miles) mark and was wondering if there is any benefit to switching to some of the 'high mileage' oils out there. I know both valvoline and castrol have one. Any benefits or just a waste of money??

Also, which oils do people like best or have had the best results with?

Any suggestions would be appriciated!!

Cheers
K2XJ

1995 XJ Sport
Stock.....for now ;-)

Shoot, its just getting broken in. If you're not smoking and not leaking, I prefer the Castrol GTX 10W-30 dino oil. A lot of folks like the synthetics, mostly Mobil One and MO filter if you can afford it. Keeping it clean and changed regularly should see you to at least 300K without problems. Same with the tranny, drain and replace a couple of quarts of fluid at the same time you change oil and you'll keep a happy camper. I did some research and found Baldwin makes an excellent oil filter for the money (Part # B2). You can see them going down the road attached to a lot of Kenworths and Pooterbilts.

mudpuddle said:
Shoot, its just getting broken in. If you're not smoking and not leaking, I prefer the Castrol GTX 10W-30 dino oil. A lot of folks like the synthetics, mostly Mobil One and MO filter if you can afford it. Keeping it clean and changed regularly should see you to at least 300K without problems. Same with the tranny, drain and replace a couple of quarts of fluid at the same time you change oil and you'll keep a happy camper. I did some research and found Baldwin makes an excellent oil filter for the money (Part # B2). You can see them going down the road attached to a lot of Kenworths and Pooterbilts.

Got me on that one, who is Baldwin, looked it up and looked at the filter, just curious. I have this thing against orange colored oil filters and that colors getting pretty close :D
Their home page is pretty good, check out the literature section for some interesting reading on stuff, not alot of detail but they do explain some basics like how PCV sytems work and why they blow by :D , gasket displacement, filter media.... Imagine, open PCV and Closed PCV sytems, like cooling systems were not enough...

Here's my $.03:

*Stick with 10w30 (Or 5w30 if you live in a cold climate). It's what the XJ calls for...
*3mo. or 3000 miles - change it...
*Synthetics are great in some circumstances, I don't think you're getting your money's worth though 90% of the time - for the average XJ owner.
*I stick with Valvoline, Shell or Mobil 1

(I won't use quacker state, pennzoil, or castrol - just too many bad stories. Not saying there bad or good - just my opinion.)

Will.

When I changed my girlfriends oil in here v8 zj a while back I used some of the blend high millage oil. Her jeep has about 150k on it and never smoked before, butt imediatly started smoking like crazy. This may have had nothing to do with the oil, but who knows? I changed back to the regular old stuff and it helped the smokeing alot (have no idea how or why). A few times I have used synthetic in high millage stuff, and it seems to make some of the seals in the engine leak more. Maybe just my imagination. I know a 318 is diffrent than the 4.0, just my experience.

RichP said:
Got me on that one, who is Baldwin, looked it up and looked at the filter, just curious. I have this thing against orange colored oil filters and that colors getting pretty close :D
Their home page is pretty good, check out the literature section for some interesting reading on stuff, not alot of detail but they do explain some basics like how PCV sytems work and why they blow by :D , gasket displacement, filter media.... Imagine, open PCV and Closed PCV sytems, like cooling systems were not enough...

Baldwin does a lot of filter work in the heavy truck industry. When you go 30,000 between changes, you better have a good filter, so that tells me they are a quality filter.

Castrol GTX here in weight suited for the climate and cold start conditions. Any filter except Fram. 260k miles with no complaints, no lube oil problems - engine is happy, life is good.

I use regular Valvoline 10W30 and Napa Gold oil filters in both of our XJ's, change at 3K. Don't see a need for special high mileage oils, just stick with one brand and change regularly.

Back