• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headers, muffler, ect

Dobbe1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 xj limited. I wanted to install a performance exhaust system. But i didn't want to do all with 2 1/2 without headers? I didn't know what people think about the pacesetter cat back systems, but that was where I as going to start. I just need to find some good headers. What real performance gain would i get if I just went cat back. I was thinking about a flowmaster 40 series, but would a pacesetter system be a better gain? Also has anybody used a hypertech programmer yet?

Dobbe1 said:
I have a 98 xj limited. I wanted to install a performance exhaust system. But i didn't want to do all with 2 1/2 without headers? I didn't know what people think about the pacesetter cat back systems, but that was where I as going to start. I just need to find some good headers. What real performance gain would i get if I just went cat back. I was thinking about a flowmaster 40 series, but would a pacesetter system be a better gain? Also has anybody used a hypertech programmer yet?
Dothedew_247 or however his name is organized - has the banks catback and will more than likely chime in and give his opinion (good).

Personaly i am looking at the Rusty's system - because i need a new cat back and $$$ talks.... as well as the flowmaster that claims to be its own skidplate (based on talk of others here and Rusty himself)
Generaly im not a fan of rusty - but i have to make exceptions to save $$$.

edit: and when i say Dothedew has the banks what i really mean that he has the flowmaster muffler and magnaflow cat....

Last edited:
If you're looking for a long lasting cat-back. the Banks(I think it was?) stainless is a great choice. I run their stainless headers and I love them, but when I was looking for a cat-back I wanted to go CHEAP. I picked up the Dynomax kit and have been very impressed, but it is only aluminized, not stainless. I'm sure more people will chime in on their set up.

I did get better performance from the cat-back kit alone, but it was much better when I put in the new headers.

People will argue that "brand XXXXX is the only way to go" but it's going to depend on what you are looking to get out of it. For perfomance, from what I've seen good mufflers will give you similar performance but big difference in durability and sound. Price is another big difference.

Do a search for each specific kit or company on NAXJA and you can get a lot of opinions from people who have personally used each product. That's where I would start if I was you.

HTH!

XJ_ranger said:
edit: and when i say Dothedew has the banks what i really mean that he has the flowmaster muffler and magnaflow cat....
:D

And I like 'em!

The only reson that I got that cat was because my old one failed- the flowmaster works great on the trail... love the fully-welded construction. It has some dents and some surface rust (as all flowmasters do?) but has held up fine, and it sounds kick-ass!

I've got a Banks header. I'm very satisfied with it, it's nice. It replaced a Hedman Hedder which had cracked, been welded, and cracked again. I'm looking forward to not having to mess with the Banks unit until I'm ready to replace the stock downpipe.

XJ_ranger said:
Generaly im not a fan of rusty - but i have to make exceptions to save $$$.
Do you have any experience with Rusty's parts, or do you just like to bash him?

I run the banks torque tube, too. Very heavy duty and will probably out last my jeep (sort of like my grandma's hip replacement). Anyways, I bailed on the cat back and instead put an airraid TBS and an XJ-Armour air intake tube + K&N filter. Quiet but well aspriated engine. The rest is all stock from downtube back.

Well I kinda wanted to know if anybody has used the Pacesetter tfx exhaust yet. Im not going to get " gung ho " and climb rocks and stuff, so im not really worried about the durability of the muffler. I just want performance.

Pacesetter in itself SUCKS BALLS!! I know from experience, they started off by NOT sending me the gaskets, then they didnt line up and cut off flow, then the painted one turns to rust in 3 days and the ceramic turns ugly in a month, their cat back systems are just as bad so save ur $$ and stop even asking about them, TRUST ME!!!

Back