• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shortening a driveshaft?

Mike L

NAXJA Forum User
I just lowered my rig a little over an inch. I had a custom driveshaft made by Hig Angle Driveline. I remeasured the length between the yokes and now it is about an inch shorter than I had the driveshaft made for. How much compression does there need to be in the driveshaft? I am wondering if I should have it shortened cause I don't want to have it bottom out. Any thoughts? Thanks.

-Mike

if you just lowered it an inch, your diveshaft would in no way need to be lowered by an inch. i would think that sag in factored into a quality driveshaft like you had made. i think you'll be fine without shortening it.

call high angle for a piece of mind

I agree- An inch less in lift would be a fraction of that at the driveshaft.
You should be fine.

take a small hose clamp and put it on the slip area. flex your rig up and see how much the clamp moves. I would guess you should be fine, but this will tell you how much you are compressing.

BillR said:
I agree- An inch less in lift would be a fraction of that at the driveshaft.
You should be fine.

That's what I was thinking but just wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks.

-Mike

I had a shaft made for my MJ, and the difference in measurements from full stuff to full drop was 3/4 of an inch. So I don't think lowering it an 1 will make that much difference.

Patrick

Actually going through my records. There is almost a 2" difference between what it is now and before I lowered it.

-Mike

How much travel do you have on the slip spline? I guess the only way to really tell if the driveshaft you got will work is to flex your jeep.

Patrick

jrsxj98 said:
take a small hose clamp and put it on the slip area. flex your rig up and see how much the clamp moves. I would guess you should be fine, but this will tell you how much you are compressing.
cool idea Justin! :wave:

Back