• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

confirming alternator upgrade pre 91'

dandecicco

NAXJA Forum User
I am heading out to a parts yard this weekend and want to confirm an alternator upgrade for my 87 4.0. After serching, I believe that I have two optional donors. The first donor is a 1996 Chevy Caprice or the second, a 1994 Chevy Lumina minivan with the 3.8L.

Can anyone confirm this for me as the Pick n Pull is selling all alternators for 8 bucks so it is a good choicce for higer powered alternator.

Thanks.

90Pioneer I think he wants an upgrade.

I havn't found anything yet that you can just drop in, if you look on the A/C delco site the mounting for the caprice is different then for our pre 91 XJs.

BUT as far as I know they are the same alternator as ours, a CS130 (as long as your running a 100 amp one currently, some XJs come with a CS121). So what I was thinking of doing was getting one and swaping the front plate for one off an XJ. Its not too hard if your ok with rebuilding an alternator. Might as well through some new bearings in there too while your at it if not a full rebuild kit in it.

Right now I'm running an 85 amp alt off an 88 chev celebrity, I needed something cheap/fast so I got it off a friend and swaped the front plate.

One last thing, the wire going from the alt to the battery is a fuseable link so you would have to upgrade to a heavier gauge wire and put in a large fuse, if you want to be able to use all that output.

Back