• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clicking valves?

ajporter03

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to this, so I hope that I will get all of the information that you guys need to help me out. I just bought a 1993 xj 4.0 auto with 122,000 on the clock. I changed the oil a couple of days ago and I put in Valvoine 's "Max Life" The stuff for motors over 75,000 miles. I now get this clicking noise near the top of the motor. It sounds to me like one of the valves. But it comes and goes. It starts out quite and gets progressivly louder, and then it will just quit and sound normal for a few minutes. Then it comes back. Any Ideas? Also, when I changed the oil, the dipstick showed that I was half way into the hash marks. Now I am almost to the add line and I have only driven 100 miles. Before I changed the oil, it was pretty low. But I don't burn any oil. No blue smoke. But aside from all of this, the motor runs great and strong. If anybody has any ideas, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, the valves are self-adjusting. It may be sticky lifters or your injectors are dirty. I have the same problem, I plan on Seafoaming the crankcase 100 miles before my next oil change.

The noise you are describing is the valve lifters. If the oil level has gone down since you changed and was low before changing, it's using oil. Nothing to get all upset about, but it is using oil. Just keep it full. The engine is worn, but as long as you keep oil in it, it should run a long time. Replacing the lifter on a 4.0 involves removing the head, so you can go from there if you want to just run it or fix it now.

ajporter03 said:
Wouldn't a drity injector make the motor run funny? And what could I do to fix the sticking lifter?

Dirty injectors can do a number of things, cause bad running/idle, make it hard to start, and/or ticking noises when clogged. Additives are usually the easier and cheaper fix. Try Seafoam. At worst, you'll be out $5 bucks, but you're engine will be MUCH cleaner, smoother...and it'll thank you for it. :) I'd grab two bottles and pour 1/2 into the fuel tank, 1/2 into the throttle body, and 1/2 into the crankcase a day or two before your next oil change. Observe the difference.

NOTE: Some guys say leaving Seafoam in the crankcase for too long (a full oil change interval) will REALLY clean out your engine, but may also take the bad stuff that's keeping your seals from leaking. That's why I recommend doing it a day or two before the oil change.

Injectors make a clicking noise wether they are dirty or not. The noise is the pintle slamming shut against its seat. Seafoam is simply a detergent package that breaks down accumulated oil sludge, etc. Modern oils have plenty of detergent in them already. The noise you are describing is classic lifter noise from a 4.0l.

As stated before, its probably your lifters. Seafoam sounds good or try a quart of tranny fluid for about 500 miles. Ford F type is usally the best for this. Now where your oil is going, check the airfilter. 4.0L have a nasty habit of sucking oil into the airfilter. If so then check for post on 'Blow-by'.
Tom

Back