• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Funky engine/tranny miss...bog..HELP!

Chris J.

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I did numerous searches on my running condition, and found that my 89 Renix Cherokee had symptoms of every dang problem out ther...but here's my description anyway:(4.0, Auto)

1. When I'm idling at a stop, then go to accelerate, the engine nearly stalls when I ease on the throttle (normal driving style). I practically have to slam the pedal down to try and skip the "dead spot".

2. Cruising on the highway, the tranny seems to search for gears. If I let off the throttle, then hit the gas again, the engine revs up about 1000rpm over what I was cruising at, the slowly slips back into gear. Sometimes I think I feel a miss when I'm driving on the highway...but never big enough to know for sure.

I've checked all the fluids, replaced the bad cat, replaced the O2 sensor.

HELP!!!

Chris

Chris-

I am not completely certain (being new at this myself) but you might try searching under "TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) Issues" or something similar in this forum- sounds like your TPS might have a "dead spot" that the computer cannot interpret....especially if it has never been replaced. Anyone else for ideas??

Bret S Gray
90 XJ
Dana 44
3.5 RE lift
AJs Intake Tube

TPS is what I'm thinking as well. I had some problems with my TPS a while back. Since the tranny gets readings off the TPS along with the computer, it could be the problem. May want to try changing your plugs and wires just for giggles too.

I'm in agreement with these suggestions plus check injector connectors very carefully too. The engine will behave like an ignition misfire if corroded and not making good contact.

Back