• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Requesting New Opinions on Shocks (comparing a few brands)

wescam

NAXJA Forum User
Vehicle in Question is an 01 XJ

Plan is RE 4.5, TW SYE/CV. 4.56, 32s.

I'm looking at three brands of shocks right now.

I'd like your opinons

= The Rubicon Express Shocks

- I read some problems with them, but they seem to have corrected what it was. Search resulted in one hit talking about them, and the price is right.

= The Bilstien 5100s

- Just going by general reputation, these are good. Bit more cash.

= The Rancho X9000s

- Most costly, but carry the "racing reputation" due to their sponsorship of all those insane baja races. Maybe they cost so much to pay for all that? Bit more cash than the other two. Are they worth it?

Any other worthy ones for me to compare and search out?

BTW searching boards for shocks is hard. Either brings up nothing or brings up 30 pages of threads....

thanks for any opinion/experience

I have 4.5 of lift, Rs9000x with teh incab controls and i love it, very comfortable on daily driving as well as stiff enough for off road.

An adjustable shock is a must for me,I set them soft for crawling and firm them up the the drive out/back!I run Rancho's but there is alot of manufacturer options these days.

My ProComp's ride like a truck, but the price was right for me...

I've had my 9000's for about two years and love them....The one's I had were too short though after the lift, after driving around on them for a year too short, I figured it was time for some the right size....but I ended up going with the OME's, should get them this week! So i'd suggest either the 9000's from personal experience or the OME's for the reputation.

Thanks.

One thing I'm not to certain about on truck shocks in this price range.

Are these "rebuildable" as in when they begin to show too much wear (whenever that is) can they be removed and rebuilt? Or is that the higher end models you see on the rigs on TV and stuff? (heh).

wescam said:
Thanks.

One thing I'm not to certain about on truck shocks in this price range.

Are these "rebuildable" as in when they begin to show too much wear (whenever that is) can they be removed and rebuilt? Or is that the higher end models you see on the rigs on TV and stuff? (heh).

The Bilstein 6100's are "factory rebuildable",you have to go up from there to get shocks you can rebuild/adjust(Fox,Bilstein,SAW,etc),real high end$$$$$

My opinion is to get a good monotube, over any of the twin tube or similar shocks. The 9000's while adjustable, I don't think are that great of a shock. Even at trail speeds, you can build alot of heat in the shock which degrades performance. I've used the factory high pressure monotubes on my TJ with great durablity and consistency for a long time, although their travel is limited. I've also run Edelbrocks, excellent ride and still lots of damping for the big dips and bumps at highway speeds. Very stable. That is what I'm going back to when I increase my lift.

I have ran the following

Doshtec(sp) Liked these shocks...Rode nice on the trail and street

Pro-Comp...Hated everything about them

9000Xs Run these now and like them the best. Nice to be able to change the way they work. Turn them softer in the slow speed rocks and turn them up for the high speed desert wash roads.

explorer said:
I've also run Edelbrocks, excellent ride and still lots of damping for the big dips and bumps at highway speeds. Very stable. That is what I'm going back to when I increase my lift.

I hear the RE monotubes are made by Edelbrock, can anyone confirm? Which Edelbrock shock do they compare to?

Shimmy- What are your impressions? on and off? compared to?
My lift with the RE monotubes should be done tomorrow.

I love my Bilstein 5100s up front, $75 each, how much are the REs?

I will probably get RS9000s in the rear because I often have drastically different weight in the back. Though I like my Bilsteins enough that I'm thinking about using another set of 5100s and making an easily adjustable mount that changes the shock angle, and therefore the effective damping.

Back