• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird noises

94XJ4x4

NAXJA Forum User
When i accelerate from a stop i hear thump thump thump. My exhaust brackets rusted off so eveything is a little loose so im thinking that could be it but I though i better ask just to make sure. Also on trails some times my stereo cuts out and my blinkers stop working. They either come back in a couple second or i get impatcient, stop, turn the ingition switch off then, start it back up, and they work again. I also hear a clunk when i hat any significant bump in the road or trail but someone told me it was probably because i am still running bar pins and some BPEs would fix that. any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

I got that for a while and thought it was the transmission, so I replaced it along with the motor and tranny mounts. Still there! It turned out mine was my broken headers. Popped in a new set and no more noise! Especially if your mounts were gone, I wouldn't be surprised if your headers are messed up too if you're still running the stock ones. HTH!

Oh, and the electrical problems sound like a bad connection. I'd start checking all connections and grounds from the battery back to see if you have any loose connections.

Last edited:
Thanks. I hadnt thought of it being the headers.... Will a header off a carborated 85 I6 from a cj fit on my cherokee, because if it could i could make a true dual exhaust. My exhaust mounts are fine it was just the brackets that hold the muffler and cat to the pipes that were rusted. they were rattling around not even tight to anything any more to i snapped them off on day and never replaced them knowing that i will replace the entire exhaust system i just thought it would have been a lot sooner. That sucks that you replaced you transmission with nothing wrong. i bet u were pretty pissed after doing that. haha

Why does it make that sound anyway. ive been thinking and i dont know what would cause the header to make that sound. maybe its loose? did you ever figure it out, or did it just go away when you replaced it any you didnt ask questions? Also still curious if a header off of an old carborated cj I6 would fit my xj. any one?

The transmission was having issues anyway. Apparantly it's not a good thing when you round the teeth off on the planetary gears? The guy who took it off was wondering how I had been driving it..... :dunno:

My headers made the noise because one of the pipes had broken clean off of the Y where it was welded and the others were flexing getting ready to go. It gave me a good reason to pick up a set of Banks stainless ones though! :D

Back