• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing carpet.......

fisher446

NAXJA Forum User
seeing as my XJ is still just sitting outside with no motor and will be for most prob another 2weeks, im planning on doing some stuff to it. The other day i was out riding with my friend in his TJ and he got flooded and the carpet was soaked. Im wanting to take all the carpet out of my XJ and replace it with some kind of truck bed liner. I know one of these days wheeling i will get water inside, and id much rather have the bedliner in there instead of carpet. I was just wondering how hard it is to remove the carpet? and what bed liner stuff to use and how to put it on? THis is something that i will be doing out in my drive way so ill jet be using a roller and no spray gun. Is there a write up anywhere that shows how to do this?? Also has anyone ever put drain plugs in the floor boards of their XJ?? I have seen this in other jeep models and id really like to see how it is done so i could possible do it to my XJ.

It's a breeze to do, I used this stuff called Herculiner. It worked out great just make sure you tape off all the stuff you don't want it on bc it does not come off easily. I found this stuff in a kit at Autozone. As for taking out all of the carpet that is not hard either. Pull the molding and seats and tape the rest. Make sure you prep the surfaces getting the liner as to make it stick better. I recomend several coats, it's a little thicker this way. Good Luck!

pulling the rear carpit is easier than the front.
front -
pull the seats, the rear seat, lower seat belt mounts (T50 Torx IIRC), lower moulding, kick panels, center concole (have to take the e-brake tray out to get at the screws)

Rear - pull the spare tire, the spare tire stand, the backrest of the rear seat, and the moulding along the hatch.
Takes me about 2 hours and a coolwhip bucket to do each time - but the first time i remember it being annoying...

Sloppyjoe, do you have any pictures of your floor hurculined? I had seen that stuff at autozone and had thought of doing it. just curious as to what it would look like.

I'm in the process of doing this right now. it was super simple in the rear. I just un-screwed the rear trim piece where the lift gate latches and pulled up (just enough to work the carpet out). I had to work it over the little cargo tiedowns, and remove the rear seat back (1 bolt) and seat belt latches (Torx bolts). I ended up cutting it a bit around the seat bolt latches. The chrome strips in the back of mine were only attached to the carpet, and so came out with it.

I have had the front partialy out for a rust repair and it was similar. Have to remove the seats, center console, and loosen the door trim. My seats are rusted in, so I am going to have to do some cutting to get them out, may just cut the carpet instead.

I should add that this is on an 87, although I don't think later ones will be much diferent.
Copperhead

how much $$$ does the bed liner stuff cost, and about how much will i need to do the inside?? should i put the drain plugf in first, and then put the liner on??

I do have pics if you want just hit me with your E mail and I'll send them right over. By the way it is not too rough, but you just might want something a little softer for your shoes. Just kidding but it is not rough though. I used a roller that came with it and it did great. The only complaint is that you will get more heat from the floors now. When i did this project it took 1 day to do and I also let it dry that night. Not a very hard job and well worth the benifits.

I thought the XJ already had plugs in the floor? At least that's what they look like, but I've never pulled them out to make sure.

I read a post or write up about doing this on a newer XJ and there was some kind of heat barrier or padding under the carpet. The guy said pulling that up took him longer than anything else.

Don't remember if he said it was a stock thing, or something someone before him had installed (like sound deadener stuff).

I'm guessing he didn't have a heat gun to help him get it out.

Well at around 5:30 i got the bug and i decided to start tearing out the carpet. Took me about 45mins to romove all the screws and back seats. I got all the back carpet out. I started working on the front seats but by the time i had some of the bolts out it was dark. So far i have found $2.37, a pic for a guitar, some doritos, fries, and other candy. lol. I think tomorrow ill have the front all out and maybe in the next day or so ill out the plugs in and durbak it. Its a fun little project and doesnt seem to hard (yet). Thanks for the replys and help, i ll have pics of the finished product whenever i get done.

Just got back in from finishing my front. Overall I am suprised at the lack of rust, since this car has spent its entire life in Canada and New England. I guess there is something to be said for undercoating. Here are some pics:

Front Drivers side, had the worst rust. I am waiting for the paint to dry. Will bed-line it after some rust repair.
Set66_01.jpg

Passengers side.
Set68_02.jpg

Back seat
Set68_01.jpg

Cargo area
Set67_01.jpg

And the soaking wet carpet that came out of it. I have some leaky windows :D
Set69_01.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, Photobucket seems to be down. Hopefully it will be up again soon.

Copperhead

Back