• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bumper mounting options

Storydude

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all.....Have an idea and wonder the feasability of it.

I'm going to use 1/8th wall square tubing for my bumper, and was wondering if anyone ran the mounting plates through the bumper, and use them as tow plates?

I ask, because I can get access to 1/2 plate in any size, and was thinking about just making the plates stick through the slotted bumper, and make them tow points. The bumper would not see much stress, and would be tacked to the steel sticking through it.

Good idea? Or pissing in the wind?

I think that some of the aftermarket bumpers that are being made actually use that same idea. DOnt ask me which ones, but Im sure that a lot of them do. I bet someone else will chime in with names.

I really dont think 1/2 plate it thick enough to use for dring mounts. I think most aftermarket bumpers use about 1-2 thick platefor the d-rings. I think 1/2 plate would be a good start though.

Patrick

1/8" wall square tube will be fine for the bumper body itself as long as your not mounting anything to it.

You can use 1/4" plate for the bumper mounts, extend them through the tube, then plate both sides of the shackle mounting area with more 1/4" plate. This will give you a 3/4" thick shackle mount which is plenty.

Back