• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon in June

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Few of us from SoCal will be driving up to the Con and running it in reverse (starting at the Lake Tahoe end) on Thursday (we leave SoCal on Thursday EARLY AM and start the trail that same day and camp at Rubicon Springs) after the fathers day weekend. If you're interested, post up or send me an email ([email protected]).

There are going to be a few requirements which are more or less standard for a Rubicon run (copied most of them from the official NAXJA event) with a few exceptions. In any case, here it comes:
One locker or two limited slips.
31" tires
Spare front axle shafts (unless running alloys)
Spare rear shafts are a good idea for c-clip axles.
Spare upper and lower CA if running stock CA's
tow strap
fire extinguisher
tow points front and rear
T-case skid
Appropriate gearing for tire size. For example: 31's could run stock 3.55's, 33's should have at least 4.11's, 35's should have 4.56's. Low T-case gears can make up for diff gearing deficiencies.
Spare tie rod and drag link if you are running 33's or larger and still have stock steering.
Stuff that is nice to have:
If you care about body damage, get some rocker skids. The 'Con LOVES to bite XJ rockers when running smaller lifts/tires.
Probably ought to have a bit of spare gas (comes in VERY handy on the trail)
If you have any questions about the requirements (whether you meet them or not and anything else along the line) please get in touch with me.

Remi

Time to get a head count

OK, I lost track of who's planning to show up so post up if I missed you or you're intereted. As far as I remember the list is as follows:
Rabbit, Dan, Derek, Mike Lysik, Matt (Scrappy), Captain Ron, Robert (TJ:D), Johnny (possibly with an MJ and ZJ accompanying him), myself.

The dates are as follows: we plan to start on the trail from Lake Tahoe area on the 23rd (very early afternoon) which means we leave very EARLY that day from SoCal.

Locker?

Nobody luvs me. :kissyou:

Tim

Re: Time to get a head count

Kejtar said:
OK, I lost track of who's planning to show up so post up if I missed you or you're intereted. As far as I remember the list is as follows:
Rabbit, Dan, Derek, Mike Lysik, Matt (Scrappy), Captain Ron, Robert (TJ:D), Johnny (possibly with an MJ and ZJ accompanying him), myself.

You forgot me. Again. :(

BrettM said:
I'm in, but why backwards? I've never run it backwards, seems like it would be a pain getting around other groups at some spots on the trail... Plus, Cadillac would be much less fun going down :D
Why backwards? Cause we did it the other way last year and want to try it this way now :D Also since we're going to be doing bulk of it on a weekday it shouldn't be too crowded.

Put me down for a long shot entry.

It would mean i'd need to have the new suspenion fully tested and bugs worked out, geared , locked and the hardest part...tracking down a tow rig.

BrettM said:
how many days? camp at Rubicon Springs thursday night, Buck or Spider Friday night, finish the trail saturday camp at Loon and all you guys drive back to SoCal on Sunday?
I'm planning to kind of wing it on the trail :D Rubicon Springs Thursday night, and after that we'll see how things go. AFAIK no more camping at Spidar (that is very dissapointing) but we might camp someplace in the vicinity. The only thing that's firm for the end of it is that we want to leave for SoCal at the latest Sunday in the AM.

BrettM said:
the Spider closure is over, but we still need to be VERY CAREFUL!

on that trail requirements list should be something to get your waste (crap) out of the trail. pack it ALL out, poopy included

trail issues are pretty well covered here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29
spider lake specifically here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347430
OK, I knew that spider closure was over but I thought that the owners put up a no trespassing sign. In that case we will camp at spider if it's going to be open, otherwise we will camp in the vicinity of.

since much closer to the trail, i'm thinking i will actually start early friday at Loon and just go until I run into you guys, then go back out w/ you. but plenty of time to figure all that out and for plans to change a few times :laugh3:

is there going to be any sort of group meal planned?

BrettM said:
since much closer to the trail, i'm thinking i will actually start early friday at Loon and just go until I run into you guys, then go back out w/ you. but plenty of time to figure all that out and for plans to change a few times :laugh3:

is there going to be any sort of group meal planned?
Plan A might be failing as our cook might be sailing the blue seas :D but I should be able to come up with a plan B in the next week or so (as a contingency)

Kejtar said:
Plan A might be failing as our cook might be sailing the blue seas :D but I should be able to come up with a plan B in the next week or so (as a contingency)

Arrr. Major sked headache. Too much fun can be alot of work :D
Anyone here a shiat hot tactician/trimmer? Take my place in Chicago?

I'll know how it'll all shake out early next week.

--ron

PS: The "blue seas" tastes funny there, and don't always look blue :D

BrettM said:
since much closer to the trail, i'm thinking i will actually start early friday at Loon and just go until I run into you guys, then go back out w/ you.
Since we're starting in the early afternoon, you have plenty of time to meet up with us at the trailhead :D

Back