• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

running 16-17 volts!?!?

XJ89JEEP

NAXJA Forum User
my XJ is running at 16-17 volts... wtf? i have a yellow top in there and it usto run right under 12 like high 11. i dont when i was driving to school this morning it started to smoke up in the cab i couldnt really smell anything but it was like white smoke.... whats going on here? any one els have this problem?

Yup, a new alternator is in order. Actually sounds like a diode in the regulator took a crap. You say it was only charging around 11-12 volts before today, thats not good either. It should charge between 13.5 to 14.5 volts while running. Readings as low as 12.5-13 are acceptable at an idle with alot of accessories on (headlights, defrosters, etc...) but should come back up as soon as engine speed increases.

Good luck...

yea new alternator for sure... and i sure hope it didnt burn through any wires when all the smoke happened could have a positive wire goin to ground now that could be a major problem.

Back