• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 XJ wont start

PIONEERXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Last night as I was getting home my xj desided to die on me and it woulnt start back up. This morning I went out to see if I could start it since I have had this problem before an would usually start up after letting it sit for a while but I had no luck. My fuel system cheked out ok so I move to my ignition system. Checked coil with one of those spark plug testor light came on. Tested the plug wires and I had no current there @ this point I took of my dist cap and saw that my cap n rotor loked like they neede to be replaced.....so I went out bought plug wire,cap,rotor,i had a new coil layin around so I went ahead n changed it out...still no luck there is curent going into the distcap but no current coming out....any sugetstions....I really dont know what to do next..thanks for your help and sorry for the long post...

A bad CPS or dirty contracts on the CPS connector are the most common cause of no-start. Try disconnecting and re-connecting the CPS connector. The CPS is mounted to the upper driver side of the bell housing. You can follow the wire to its connector which is located near the rear of the valve cover.

PIONEERXJ said:
there is curent going into the distcap but no current coming out....any sugetstions....I really dont know what to do next..thanks for your help and sorry for the long post...

rethink that-- if the coil wire going from the coil to the distributor cap has juice, then the coil should be good....If theres juice going into the cap, but not comeing out of any of the 6 plug wires, youve found a problem right there. The juice go`s in, hits the center of the rotor, and arcs to the lower towers in the cap. Unless the timing is completely off, its gotta go to the upper outside towers. IF theres juice at the towers, and not at the plugs...replace the plug wires.

unless that stupid hall effect thingy in the distrib. is bad...Ive never had one go south though.

Ed in North Ga. said:
IF theres juice at the towers, and not at the plugs...replace the plug wires.
Wires cap and rotor are new. I actualy got a really faint spark from the #3 plug thats why im thinking its the ignion module not supplying enough juice to the cap but I want to make sure before I go spend $140 on one.

badge714 said:
check the camshaft sensor in distributor badge 714
What ohms reading should i get out of that sensor.

Last edited:
Well my XJ finally started this morning. Somebody on another board sugesteei take my ignition module and get it tested @ autozone sure enough it was bad. bought a new one putit on and it started back up. Thanks for ur help...

Back