• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help, Please!!!

Louder

NAXJA Forum User
Kinda long, but please read...

This past weekend I installed a Rusty's BB on my 2001 XJ. Everything seemed fine up until Monday while riding home from work.

I was accelarating up an on ramp towards a highway, when all of a sudden the front end of the truck started vibrating really hard! :eek: Not swerving side to side but vibrating up and down.

As I let of the gas and got ready to apply the brakes, it smoothed out. I swerved left and right and acelerated and decelerated, but could not duplicate what had happened. Once I got home, I checked everthing and couldn't find anything loose in the front end.

But now this morning it happened again. While coming to work I was in the passing lane when it started vibrating hard, real hard :eek:! I braked, acelerated, changed lanes, took it out of gear, back in gear.. nothing still vibrating hard! Then suddenly it just smoothed out. And I could duplicate it again.

This time the only difference I felt was it seems like the tires were almost bouncing, one than the other, back and forth. But really fast which made the front end vibrate really hard, and I mean really hard.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide in advance,
Louder

[email protected]

I know an alignment and balancing is a good way to go, but if it were really these things you'd think it would be more predictable when it happened.

What would happen if a shock went?

Get it aligned, that will fix it. When you raised the front up it caused you to have to much toe in. When the right conditions are in place the front will go into an oscilation, here on the board most oftenly refered to as Deathwobble.

If a shock went the main notice would be a harsher ride and that one side of the vehicle would dip more on braking. I'd start with the alignment and balancing and while you do that check the steering dampener. Unlikely that it'd be shot with a 2001, but you never know.

Check the trackbar, dampner and all TREs. Grease 'em up if the seem low. Best advice is always to go over the frong end with a fine tooth comb. It may be Death Wobble, but with a BB I'd venture to say it's parts wear rather than steering angles. Hitting bumps and high speed typically induce DW, though wobbles at higher speed on smooth road tend to indicate a parts issue.

Im currently experiencing DW, and it feel the same way you explained. Look into that alignment and balance. Let me know what it was once you have it fixed.

Back