• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My info. center said "emiss Maint", what?

ShipleyCSA

NAXJA Forum User
My information center(the buttons that light-up on the left side of the dash/OD cluster, etc) said _____
I guess this means...emission maintenance, but what then? Darn,.. I guess I'm running a little dirt. I mean, what should I look for under the hood to figure out what this is trying to tell me?
Thanks,
-John

uhm how about what year,make ,and style of truck/car. might help some..
and how many miles

most likely it is time to change the O2 sensor

If it's a 87-90, that light is a 'reminder' to do things like CCV and O2 sensor. It's basically an hour meter, that can't be reset (IIRC the replacement timer is like $35) They light up somewhere approx 80,000 miles IIRC, depending on how fast or slow the Jeep was driven over that time.

Not to advise anyone to play monkey with their emissions gear, BUT if I had another 'more important' light to go out up in that 'info center', I'd might steal the bulb from the emission maintenance socket. OTOH I did replace my O2 and CCV harness about the same time my bulb quit lighting up :)

I'm not sure if this 'timer' carried through into the early HO models (91-93?) but with the advent of OBDII in 94 or 95, the new system can read (and tell on) the individual components.

its a little box under the dash somewhere that can just be taken out. it cant be reset and no one i know can find one to replace it. if i can find my fsm ill let you know where it is.

"The maintenance reminder cannot be reset after reaching the specified mileage, the unit must be replaced. The unit is mounted on the dash panel to the right of the steering column. To replace the reminder module: 1) remove the attaching screws and disengage the reminder electrical connector. 2) install the connector to the new EMR and replace the attaching screws. *on vehicles equipped with the cruise control, the CC module may need to be moved to gain access to the EMR"

Back