• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignition ciruit

CW

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I found this while thumbing through my encyclopedia of electronic circuits. It doesn't have a description so I am in the dark. I don't know a lot about electronics but I think I might build this and see how it works. Any body have any idea how it will work out? Has anyone built one before?
1qh5jq

CW said:
Hey, I found this while thumbing through my encyclopedia of electronic circuits. It doesn't have a description so I am in the dark. I don't know a lot about electronics but I think I might build this and see how it works. Any body have any idea how it will work out? Has anyone built one before?
1qh5jq

isnt that a coil pack?

As I understand it, our ignition system is a capacitive type discharge system. At least that is what the MSD folks said when I got my MSD5

I don't believe our system is a cds, for short. If you think about it the coil is only charged when gounded by points or electronic trigger, before that the coil has no ground to be able to charge up. I belivev also that a few cars out there are the CDS type. My question would be why are you considering this? If it is for the hell of it, I say go for it and let us know. The MSD's and other such type ignitions I believe are CDS's, I may be wrong. I'll just stay with a good cap and rotor, hot coil and good wires, good enough for the old 4.0. Just my two cents.

Simon

If I build it it will just be for fun, since it's not multiple spark like my msd6a. I am working on my own version of an APEXI that varies the map voltage based on rpm. I don't know if it will work out all that well but it's fun to play around with.

These were popular, at least with me, in the '70s. You'll have to adapt it for a point-less ignition and you'll probably have a dandy of a time coming up with the transformer for it.

Back