• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear disk brake

geitin

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 model xj running 38" gumbo monster tires and I was thinking if these rear disk brakes kits that are made for the xj, do they work are they legal to use on the streets or are the drum brakes better in this case or what have you been doing in this case??????????

with a 38" tire, rear discs will perform better than drums for sure, but you really need to add larger front brakes (beefier axle too) if this is a longterm thing. I dig my rear discs with 33's, btw.

well where this car is no it doses not need a bigger front brake the front axles arent that week I think :) but I´m running a d44 rear that came frome a xj doner car

Don't really know about Iceland DOT rules, but my ZJ rear discs pass PA inspection with no problems.

geitin said:
well where this car is no it doses not need a bigger front brake the front axles arent that week I think :) but I´m running a d44 rear that came frome a xj doner car

Rear discs are a big improvment over the D35 brakes, but the D44's are a better setup so I'm not sure you'll see a huge improvement. They will be less prone to fade though. Good luck

I know this is slightly off-topic, but if you're wanting to upgrade the front brakes as well as the rear, you could try making an adaptor plate that would allow you to fit Volvo 4-piston front calipers - they'd probably be easier to come by and adapt than a WG/WJ. I heard a guy from one of my local offroad shops recommend that as a way to improve braking, but I guess you might have some issues with the master cylinder volume.

Back