• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1980 F150 2WD 9" - Good Swap?

MontanaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was going through one of the junk yards here, and in their pile of axles I found a 1980 F150 two wheel drive 9 inch complete drum-drum. It has 5 lugs, didn't measure the hub, and was spring over if I recall correctly. From looking at the superior catalog it would be a 31 spline with L/R shafts being the same length of 31 27/32"? Price unknown.

Is this a good axle to swap into a '99 XJ?

hmm a 99... i wouldnt put htat in anything newer than a 96

Yeah, whats wrong with putting it in a newer body style????

I would measure the WMS and see if it's about what you want. IMO it's a great axle with ALOT of options. As you upgrade tire sizes you can just upgrade parts rather than a whole nother axle................. :lecture:

MontanaXJ said:
x2

why?

sounds like a viable oppurtunity to me. 31 spline, removeable carrier

that seems to be a little wide - what was a WMS measurement?
go for it

i guess sarcasm, even as thick as i thought i laid it down, cant be picked up on the web

I don't know the WMS-WMS measurement, but each shaft is about 2" longer than the 8.25 so figure in the neighborhood of 64". It's wider but that is OK.

fatwreck said:
I put that same axle in my XJ.....you can check out the info on it here:

http://www.projectxj.com/mods/ford9inch.htm

Brian
Some nice info there Brian. What other disc options did you find that wouldn't require fabing brackets? Would doing a 5.5x5 Warn conversion be a good option for the D30 or I should I consider getting a D44 built?

You can use GM calipers and buy some brackets from race car suppliers (I can give you specific info if you want).....but I knew I wanted and ebrake and I knew I wanted it to be cheap.

Plus, a lot of the pirate guys complained about the performance of the GM calipers.

That 5x5.5 warn hub conversion for the 30 is expensive....I just found it hard to throw that much money into that axle when I could build a 44 for not much more. Ya know? You'll have to figure that one out for yourself....people here could argue ALL DAY about whether it's better to build a 30 or 44.

Been a few years since I've played with a 9", but if I remember correctly, the axles with the equal length shafts will offset the pinion to the side. This shouldn't be an issue with a single cardon style driveshaft, but if you have or plan on a SYE with double cardon joint, you won't be able to adjust for the offset.

With the money saved using this type of rear axle, I could justify going with a Currie or Dynatrac front axle. Opions on what to run up front to match. Ford F series D44? Other?

fatwreck: What did you go with for a front axle?

The shafts are equal length and the pinion is slightly offset. I have an SYE and I don't have any problems.

IMG_4105.jpg

MontanaXJ said:
fatwreck: What did you go with for a front axle?

I went with a waggy 44 first....thinking I would use that and keep my 8.25 with wheel adaptors. But I started having issues with my 8.25 and the lock right I was using.....so, I then threw in the 9".

If I were to swap both at the same time, I would use either a HP44 front axle and 9" rear (same width...about 65").

Or....use a waggy 44 and tacoma rear axle (same width....about 60"-62").

I just called Dynatrac and Currie for S & G's and asked about axle pricing. Cough Cough.

Dynatrac Front Hi Pinion D44 w/ Electrac $4800, electrac/standard detroit ~$300 diff.
Dynatrac Rear D44 w/ Electrac and Disc Brakes $3759, discs are a $388 option

Currie Rear Hi Pinion 9 Inch Detroit Drum Brakes $3100
Currie Rear 9 Inch Detroit 35 spline Drum Brakes $2940
Currie Front Hi Pinion 9 Inch Detroit $2800, uses stock knuckles/brakes, $500 core refund.
Currie Front Hi Pinion D44 Detroit $3033, uses stock knuckles/brakes, $500 core refund.

Time to start playing PowerBall.

I have built a 79 ford f150 9" for my XJ, the rear I had narrowed to fit the 60.5" WSM. I ordered the Warn full floater kit for the 9", went with explorer brakes. I also have the HP 44 out of the same truck that I narrowed down myself and have been building. My rear cost me 1800 bucks with a detroit, 4.88 richmonds, strange housing, and warn FF kit. There are tons of options out there for those axles...You can always install them full width, seen lots of this done...

MontanaXJ said:
Time to start playing PowerBall.
ah the old redneck retirement plan

Back