• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heavy duty bumpers vs tow ratings?

4ESTJP

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking into buying a Currie bumper for my jeep. It says it is "not rated". Does that mean that it has not been officially tested, but is more then capable of towing trailers? Do the companies have to pay the DOT to test them?

The hidden hitch is made of the same 3/16 steel as the Currie bumper. It should be perfectly capable of towing right?

The reason the bumpers are not rated is because of the mounting system. I have a tomken w/2" receiver. It came with two straps that attach at the bottom of the bumper with one self threading bolt and one that goes in one of the nut plates in the frame rails. I plan on making up a new set of straps this summer that attach at 4 of the points on the plates and wrap around the face of the bumper with bolts that go all the way thru to the back. Until then I'm fairly consertative with what I pull, usually a small flatbed 12ft trailer that belongs to a friend of mine, mostly for moving furniture, taking the lawn tractor or snow blower to the shop or helping friends move and thats about it. Have used it to yank a couple of jeeps and other vehicles out of snow banks and mud holes but no hard fast pulls. I don't trust it as much as the factory rear hook I had on my 98 though it is probably stronger, maybe...

Insurance liability is the biggest reason.
Give it a tow rating without exstensive testing by an independent agency
which does this type of testing.....your simply asking to be sued if it fails.

Most everything we buy 'aftermarket' comes with a disclaimer of some type
which suggests consumer assumes all responsability using/installing the
product.

This dosent mean the product is not up to the chore though.

Using the bumper as a recovery point should give it enough strength. There is a lot of force with the winch pulling on the receiver mounted shackle.

Back