• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 rear disk brakes

bbaker80

NAXJA Forum User
After the brake problems I saw at NACFest, I'm considering rear disks. A lot fewer parts to go wrong. I like the way the NAXJA Giveaway XJ uses XJ front rotors and calipers, but without a hand brake, I doubt I'd pass PA state inspection (not that I really do anyway, but I'd like to keep it as legal as possible). What does it take to swap in ZJ disk brakes on a Dana 44? I know I've heard about others doing it, but is it pretty much a bolt on affair? I don't mind fabricating stuff, but I'm not sure I trust my welds for anything that could kill me or someone else yet. Skids and shock mounts are one thing, brakes are another.

Hey Brian,
I'm starting the parts collection process right now. I have a fabricator making the spacers, and I should have all of the disc brake parts by Friday. I found a Gr. Cherokee in a local boneyard with a D44 rear (doesn't need to be a 44 though, you can pull the parts from a D35). I am also going to set up a spare set of axleshafts with the proper spacer in case I break one. I am going to weld the proper e-brake bracket onto the existing mount too.

I am going to weld the existing mounting holes closed, then drill new ones to match the mounting flange on my XJ D44.

I'll keep you posted if I run into any snags along the way.

Andy

Andy, do you have any idea if the hardware (backing plates and dust shield) from the ZJ d44 are a direct bolt on to the XJ dana 44? I'am ready to do this swap myself and was wondering if the grand D44 parts would be a direct bolt on. Then you woulndn't even have to re-drill the holes to mount them up. Thanks Jason

Nope

hey XJHOX.. and don't think it will be direct bolt on.

Here is one of the tons of articles out there about disk brake conversion..

http://www.madxj.com/

then go into technical, then brakes..

Andy that would be great. My plan, now that I'm working on getting back on the road rather than building stuff, but I wanted to get all my parts lined up for when I do get a chance to install the 44. I'm thinking about keeping the stock shafts as spares and picking up a set of Superior alloys to run. If you could, take some pictures of the e-brake bracket. From the writeups I've seen, everything else is pretty well photographed, but the e-brake setup has me in the dark right now. What are you planning on running as e-brake cables (meaning "do ya think my swapped in YJ cables will work?")

Bryan

bbaker80 said:
...... What are you planning on running as e-brake cables (meaning "do ya think my swapped in YJ cables will work?")

Bryan

I used the YJ cables that I already had installed. I cut about 1/2 of the spring off at the caliper end, bent the cable around the e-brake arm, clamped it back onto itself with a clable clamp. Been working fine for 3 years and it even passes inspection.

I got this idea from a website, if I can find that site, it explains the process a lot better...with photos too.

No it definitely is NOT a direct swap, but it is not hard to do. The two top holes need to be egged out slightly on the new disc brake backing plate, and the lower holes need to be re-drilled to the correct location. Also, the point at the bottom of the XJ D44 backing plate needs to be ground down about 1/4 to 3/8's of an inch. I am getting the spacers made right now to make up the difference in the offset of the disc brake backing plates. Should be completing this install next weekend. I am going to cut off the tab for the XJ D44 e-brake mount (inside the drum) and weld it to the existing tab on the XJ setup. I was thinking about wrapping the cable around it and tying it off, but would rather weld the bracket on instead.

A.

Back