• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upcoming NP231 Advance Adapters SYE Install

MontanaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
As the title says, I will be installing my AA SYE shortly(next week). I'm trying to prepare as much as possible. I have read the instructions for the install to make myself familiar with the steps and the parts. From those that have done this work, what kind of surprises might I come across? Are there any other online tech articles that would be of some help?

Make sure you have a good pair of snapring pliers, and that you shift fork lines up properly once everything is back in.

Fergie

Very easy mod and if you just keep in mind which parts you are working wioth you will not have any problems. Bu sure that you have some VERY GOOD snap ring pliers. The cheap ones will not work. Do not take any drive shaft measurements until its all bolted back in place and know how to measure by the guys that are making your new shaft. Then say goodbye to any vibrations you might have had in the past. later...Clint

it's an easy job. i did one for the first time in about two hours.
-leave the transfercase attached to the tranny. its easier that way
-an air impact wrench works great for removing both yokes
-remove the tailcone
-get a good pair of snappring pliers. the ones with flat tips, not the pointed ones
you will need this to remove two rings on either side of the speedo gear
-remove the pump
-split the case. you will need a 10 or 12 mm (can't remember which) twelve point socket for the top bolt.
-install sye
-reassemble
-use some rtv black for the case halves

the AA sye has some pretty good instructions that come with it

I will be doing the install at the local Auto Hobby Shop, they should have all the tools I need.

I already have the driveshaft. Went through Dirk @ DPG Off-Road and got a High Angle Driveline shaft. Jesse @ HAD told me how to measure after the lift was installed. Hopefully won't be a problem.

What year t-case?? make sure you get the 2/4 wheel shift fork cut properly if on an older version t-case. I clean the case halves with scotchbrite pads to remove the silicone for a clean reinstall and good seal... good luck and have fun.

-leave the transfercase attached to the tranny. its easier that way

i have done this mod with the HD AA SYE twice now...the first time i took it out and the second was done on the vehicle. to me it was much easier the first time with me sitting upright and the assembly easy to manipulate on my workbench. different strokes........ :cheers:

What you want are lockring pliars, not snapring pliars. If you just have snapring pliars with the interchangable tips, do yourself a favor and get the lockring pliars.

I just installed mine last weekend. It looks like a big deal but it really is easy.

Check out jeepin.com and JB Conversions websites for writeups as the instructions that came with mine (PORC) sucked.

HTH

Fergie said:
Make sure you have a good pair of snapring pliers, and that you shift fork lines up properly once everything is back in.

Fergie

Right up there with:
'Just go with an 8.8 and be done with it'
:roflmao:
As mentioned, lockring pliers are needed, snapring pliers will do you no good.
Be mindful of the pump and magnet, it will help to have an extra set of hands.
Also, I only use copper permatex on stuff like this, far superior to black or blue.
Leave the crossmember in.
Good luck.

Last edited:
bgcntry72 said:
Right up there with:
'Just go with an 8.8 and be done with it'
:roflmao:
As mentioned, lockring pliers are needed, snapring pliers will do you no good.
Be mindful of the pump and magnet, it will help to have an extra set of hands.
Also, I only use copper permatex on stuff like this, far superior to black or blue.
Leave the crossmember in.
Good luck.
Ditto on the magnet...

I've had to pull my case back apart just to put the magnet back in.

Fergie

Back