• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is 3 peice front axle better than 2?

jazclrint

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
I'm new to this forum. I got a '95 for only $3000, and have been trying to get it right since. It has been in an accident, and the front end, is out just so. Any way when I got it there front sway bar and mounting hardware was gone! I've since put an OEM sway bar and associated parts on with polyurethane bushings. However, I also had to change the U-joints on the end of the front axles. When I did this I noticed that I do not have a 3 peice front axle, but a 2 peice. There are no vacum lines coming from my manual tranny, and where the lines would go into the box on the back of the axle the is a big bolt blocking the hole. I've been told that at some point Jeep got rid of the 2 peices on the right side, and axle lock do dad and replaced it with the one peice. My question is what year did this happen? What are the advantages and disadvanatges with how mine is now. And if I want to convert it to a 3 peice axle what do you guys think of that electrical switch and motor thar replaces the vacum system that locks the axle peices together? And what is that thing called? I suspect that the 2 peice axle maybe the cause of my nasty vibration at 65 mph. Also, I don't off road this Jeep, just my daily ride. But to get around Maine, a Jeep is really the best way to go. Thanks.

ok think about this . you want to add more parts to an axle .more things to go wrong ,weaker,and second you can't convert it over .the older axle you are thinking of was a completly different axle .it was still a dana 30 but the long tube had a hole that had a fork to engage and disengage the front end.stick with what you have you are better off.if you are getting a vibration it might be the front shaft is out of balance,wheel bearings are going,tires are out of balance,could even be a u-joint of the shaft .it might even be the rear shaft unless you are feeling it through the steering wheel .

Well, since I'm new at this, and I don't like making assumptions until I have some decent info, that's why I asked. Like I said, the box where the fork would be housed is there. It looks like someone converted it to a non disconnect (?), but I don't know if this was a result of rapairs after the accident or what. Or if the person who owned it before was trying to make it and extreme off roader and gave up. Does any one know if '95 had a disconnect front axle. And when I say axle, I mean the actual shafts that drive the front wheels. A couple of guys I met at the base who have rebuilt a couple of Jeeps had never seen an XJ without a disconnect, and seemed quite concerned, but I figured I'd find some people who really knew the XJ first. Their concern, and mine, is that my 100 mile round trip to school and back with the front end permenantly locked as it is is doing nothing but tearing up my front end. Make a run to the several junk yards in the area with XJs for the correct drive shafts and whatever other parts can be used, acouple of new consumables, that nifty electric disconnect, and I'd be better off in the long run. The guys on another Jeep list I had been on said that people who did the non disconnect mod often complained of poor handling. As far as more parts, yeah, but which is worse, a couple more parts, or a tore up front end? And do I really need that much more stronger than stock to roll through the snow? The most aggressive stuff this XJ gets used for is a good blizzard run. But I try to treat it right. Rancho 2000 shocks (enough for me), poly bushings up front, OEM parts where applicable, and full synth fluids every where.
Any way, to sum up. Did my year Jeep come with a disconnect front end? Would it be better in the long run to convert it back if it did (this last guy says no)? And what do people think of those electric disconnect motors they sell in the catologs? Thanks.

95 didn't use a disconnect in XJ's. And I'd agree disconnect is not as desireable. This is a matter of opinion however. If it's what you have and it isn't giving you any trouble, then run it. Putting the one piece shaft in eliminated the bad, or good depending on how you look at it.

While I'm not shure on the year [95 sounds about right] of the last disconect D30 for the XJ. It tends to be problematic, and alot of guys just remove it replacing with the newer 2 piece shafts[what may have been done to yours]. I have never heard of electric operated accuators for it, but I know you can get a cable operated device to work it. Also any year XJ with the 242 TC [all wheel drive] dosn't have a disconect axle. One other thing don't run synthetic in the tranny. It wont like it, and over time will start slipping because synthitic is too slippery.

Don't sweat the axle. All is as it should be. '95s had non-disconnect front Dana 30. You were right to come here, as the yahoos you conferred with obviously haven't seen many XJs. The non-disco is considerably more reliable than the disco version.

It seems someone replaced the original axle with a unit from a pre '90 XJ and made it non-disco. You'd be a fool to convert it to disco. Many folks go through the hassle of doing the conversion that your axle already has had done to it.

Certainly sounds like your XJ was built with the non-disconnect axle. After the front end collision, who ever repaired it, replaced the front axle with a disconnect housing from a wrecking yard. If they were too lazy or in a hurry to put a sway bar back on, I'd check to make sure they put the correct seals in the housing. That seems to be the toughest part of this mod.

Personally, I have the disconnect axle and prefer to keep it. Hopefully, a cable type control is in my future.

sorry if i seemd a bit rough.95's have solid 2 piece axles..the disco front end was swapped in like stated above.

if anything you might want to find the right housing .and it won't tear up your front end it's supposed to remain locked in the transfer case in the only thing that makes it go from 2 to 4 .i don't like the idea of spinning my front end the whole time either and would love to have manual hubs but for the price they want for the conversion it's cheaper to have a dana 44 built .

Last edited:
I run a disco and love it because when I dis-engage I get no clicking from the front locker. I only run 31's though. If you were to run above say a 33 I would change to the other, mainly because of the steel donut that engages the axle would probably break if you go above a 33 and gear down. I believe they did away with the Disco in 1990. My son has a 1990 and it is only a 2 piece.

Back