• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems starting the new wagoneer limited.

TBLimited

NAXJA Forum User
Well I finally got a 1988 wagoneer limited from a friend and its having trouble starting. When I picked the jeep up it wouldn't start at all so me and my buddies went through everything. We bought a new coil, new plugs, new distributor button, and swapped out the computer. After a few hours, two trips to the parts store, a can of ether, pressure testing the fuel line, and my buddies getting shocked we got it running. The only problem is in order to start it we have to spray ether into the intake and I still have to do it cause it wont start on its own. Also when we got it running it started pouring smoke out of the exhaust manifold tube but it ran and idled fine. The smoke seemed to be coming from some exhaust port or something and the smoke also poured out of the exhaust at first it was really white smoke and then it would shoot out some black smoke. And we pressure tested the fuel lines and it was 40 psi when the IGN is START, and it drops a little bit when you turn the IGN to ON position when you try to start it. So its getting fuel and its getting spark, anyone have any clue?

check the radiator hoses - on a saumurai engine swap i accidently ran the radiator into the intake via the heater control units.

also - head gasket? - white smoke sounds like radiator fluid in the wrong part of the engine.
is there oil in the radiator fluid when you take the cap off (oil will float on water)?

I don't think its that I think the white smoke was probably coming from the large quantities of ether we were shooting into the intake and it was just burning it off. I was wondering if a coolant temp sensor might cause it to not start? Thanks for the input though I didn't see any oil in it.

Clean the terminals on the fuel pump relay (LF Fender inner panel behind the air box) as a start.

Back